McCarter Theatre Center
POSITION: Stage Technician
DEPARTMENT: Production / Stage Operations
REPORTS TO: Stage Supervisor
CLASSIFICATION: Full Time; Non-Exempt; Seasonal: August – June each year
PAY RANGE: $1,000 weekly
BENEFITS INCLUDE: Medical, vision, and dental insurance, flexible spending accounts, paid vacation, sick and personal time, life insurance, long-term disability insurance, and a 403 (b) retirement plan.
START DATE: August, exact date flexible
McCarter Theatre Center, centered between New York City and Philadelphia on the campus of Princeton University, is a creative and intellectual hub that inspires conversations, connections, and collaborations in our communities. We lead with justice and joy, and we seek beauty in belonging. McCarter is an independent, non-profit performing arts center that creates and curates engaging performances, education programs, and community partnerships. We are committed to fostering a diverse, anti-racist company and have begun that work in earnest; this work goes beyond our staff and production teams and includes engaging, educating, and cultivating a broad range of audiences, making the arts accessible to all people, and presenting a variety of entertaining and thought-provoking programming across disciplines. As such, McCarter seeks team members who: contribute to a diversity of backgrounds and experiences to support an expansive artistic vision; are committed to engaging in ongoing anti-racism and anti-oppression work individually; value collaboration, flexibility, and an openness to continuous personal and professional growth. McCarter is an equal opportunity employer committed to hiring, supporting, and promoting a diverse and inclusive workforce. Please review our staff-written Framing Statement on equity, diversity, inclusion, and accessibility, on our website.
· Work load-in, strike, and run crew for produced and presented shows as assigned.
· Function as electrician, flyperson, props runner, and/or sound technician as needed.
· Assist the Stage Supervisor, Sound Engineer, and Head Electrician with equipment maintenance.
· Assist on other Stage Operations projects as time permits.
· Adhere to safe working practices and follow all McCarter safety policies.
· Participate in the work to make McCarter an anti-racist theater. Actively seek ways to improve our work practices to make the Production Department more Equitable and Inclusive.
· Strong Collaboration skills
· Demonstrated proficiency in industry-standard computer programs, including Microsoft Office, Spikemark, and Q-Lab
· Knowledge of standard lighting, video and sound equipment.
· Basic carpentry skills for repair of scenic elements during the run of a show.
· Basic knowledge of set-up for winched scenery.
· Able to read and understand technical ground plans, sections, sound, and lighting plots, etc.
· Able to make basic repairs on video, sound and electrics equipment.
· Able to lift, push, or maneuver up to 70 lbs. repeatedly.
· Able to climb and work on ladders up to 65 feet high.
· Valid driver’s license; able to drive a 26’ box truck or smaller.
· Able to work in full view of the audience (i.e. a vista scene shifts.)
· Willingness to engage in conversations as McCarter builds a culture of Inclusion
We encourage all candidates to apply, even if they do not currently meet all qualifications. We know there are great candidates who may not have all of the qualifications listed above but possess intuitive knowledge or other fully transferable skills. If that’s you, don’t hesitate to apply and tell us about yourself. McCarter is committed to on-the-job training and mentorship. We also encourage candidates who do not live within commuting distance to apply. We are eager to tell you about the area, which includes many communities and towns outside of Princeton, and will discuss what it would mean for you to relocate.
If you are interested in supporting McCarter’s artistic vision, we would love to hear from you.
Please email [email protected] with “Stage Technician” in the subject line to introduce yourself. Please let us know your skills and any applicable work experience. You do not need to submit a formal resume, although they are welcome. Please also mention where you heard about the position.
Aug 1, 2022 - Jun 4, 2023
*NOTE: Do not copy/paste the above email address as it is encoded with SPAM protection. Just click it to initiate an email from your preferred email client.