Dallas Theater Center
Dallas, TX 75201
An active member of Dallas Theater Center (DTC)’s Production Department, the Staff Electrician is responsible for working with the Lighting Department to implement, facilitate and maintain the Lighting Designer’s vision for all DTC shows. Additionally, the Staff Electrician is responsible for general upkeep of DTC’s lighting equipment in conjunction with the rest of the Lighting Department.
The Staff Electrician reports directly to the Head of Lighting, and is responsible for effectively supporting Lighting Designers, ensuring that high artistic standards are met at all times. An ideal candidate would be someone who has experience working with a variety of different lighting equipment, is a strong hands-on learner and feels comfortable working with a team or independently. This is a full-time, non-exempt position, which is eligible for overtime. This position includes a full benefits package: medical, dental and vision insurance, DTC-paid life insurance, voluntary life insurance and 403b programs, complimentary tickets and generous paid-time off. Some nights and weekends will be required as needed throughout the season.
• Head of Lighting
• Assistant Head of Lighting
• Lighting Technicians, including overhire employees
• Lighting Designers
• Assistant and/or Associate Lighting Designers
• Show run crew
• Stage Management teams
• Works as an electrician on all of the Lighting Department’s load in, focus and load out calls.
• Assists with prep work for Lighting load-ins and clean up with load-outs.
• Runs follow spot for specified shows throughout the season.
• Be able to step in and run/ program a lighting console for shows as needed.
• Works with the light board operator through dimmer check and participates in show maintenance.
• Assists with maintenance of any lighting equipment.
• Attends meetings, tech rehearsals and performances as required.
• Provides regular updates to Head of Lighting/ Master Electrician on all areas of responsibility.
• Safely rig lighting positions, pipes and hanging points from heights.
• Attends and participates in full company, departmental, and production meetings; in addition to technical rehearsals and previews for all productions.
• Performs work in a manner that is consistent with DTC’s Mission, Vision and Values.
• Be an active participant in DTC’s work towards equity, diversity and inclusion and becoming an anti-racist organization by:
o Participating in all DTC-wide EDI trainings, workshops or experiences
o Participating in all EDI learnings or experiences cultivated within the Production and/or Lighting Department
• To maintain safe working conditions in keeping with DTC health and safety guidelines and COVID19 Response Protocols.
• Other duties as assigned This job description is not exhaustive and is subject to review in conjunction with the post holder and according to future changes/developments.
SKILLS AND KNOWLEDGE REQUIREMENTS
• Fosters and maintains a positive and productive work environment backstage and in work areas.
• Demonstrates leadership, works as part of a team, and provides cover and assistance as required.
• Must be able to work effectively with all DTC staff in a co-operative and approachable manner.
• Must be able to work under the stress of deadlines and adapt to changing priorities.
• Must be able to handle a high volume of work and attend to numerous projects concurrently.
• Must have experience with ETC line of consoles
• Must have the ability to read and disseminate information from design drawings.
• Must be familiar with and able to utilize LightWright.
• Must be self-motivated, yet willing to ask questions when tasks are unclear.
• Must portray excellent time management skills.
• Demonstrates interest in learning and growing as a lighting professional.
• Must be able to comply with all OSHA regulations for creating and maintaining a safe work environment.
o Completed and current OSHA10 certification, preferred.
• Must be proficient in Dropbox, Microsoft Office Suite, and G-Suite.
• Must be available to work extended work hours at times, including nights and weekends.
• Demonstrated ability to drive box trucks, preferred
• Experience with Vectorworks, preferred
• Knowledge of and experience working with multi-parameter fixtured, preferred
• Able to sit, stand, and squat for extended periods of time.
• Able to move 50lbs.
• Comfortable with working at heights.
• Able to work quickly and accurately in a complex and fast-moving environment.
EDUCATION AND EXPERIENCE REQUIRED:
• 1-3 years’ experience working as a professional production Electrician at a LORT or equivalent performing arts institution, required.
• Bachelor’s degree in technical theater, or equivalent working experience, desired COVID19 REQUIREMENTS:
• Ensure that all work is performed in alignment with DTC’s COVID19 Response Protocols
• Be able to provide documentation of full vaccination of a US-government approved COVID19 vaccine regimen for COVID19, at the time of hire.
Dallas Theater Center is an Equal Opportunity Employer (EOE). Qualified applicants are considered for employment without regard to age, race, color, religion, gender, national origin, sexual orientation, disability, or veteran status. If you need assistance or an accommodation during the application process because of a disability, it is available upon request. The company is pleased to provide such assistance, and no applicant will be penalized because of such a request.
HOW TO APPLY: Please send résumé with references and a cover letter to email@example.com with Staff Electrician in the subject line