New York, NY 10036
Playwrights Horizons is an off-Broadway writer's theater dedicated to the support and development of contemporary American playwrights, composers and lyricists, and to the production of their new work.
Staff Accountant assists in maintaining and controlling the General Ledger accounts and business transactions of the organization to ensure compliance with applicable standards (i.e. GAAP, FASB), rules, regulations and systems of internal control. A member of a four-person business office, an ideal candidate will be a self-starter with strong accounting and analytical skills, an attention to detail, and desire to work with a variety of people across all departments.
Duties and Responsibilities:
Assist the Controller with the day-to-day, monthly, and year-end operations of the Business Office including:
● Reconcile balance sheet accounts (including all cash accounts) quarterly and annually
● Assist budgeting and forecasting preparation
● Record accounts receivable
● Work with Data Analytics Manager for reconciling contributed & earned revenue; and deferred revenue monthly
● Prepare month end journal entries
● Prepare financial reports as needed
● Serve as payroll administer, accounts payable & deposits
● Manage / track credit card activity and credit card expense via Concur
● Manage Form W9 & Prepare Form 1099s
● Assist managing daily cash flow
● Assist annual audit
● Other duties as assigned
● Bachelor’s degree in accounting preferred or relevant experience in the field
● Minimum two to three years’ experience in non-profit required, and knowledge of the Arts a plus
● Proficient in Microsoft Office (especially Excel) and Google Workspace
● Knowledge of Financial Edge software highly desired
● Strong reconciliation skills required
● Strong interpersonal skills preferred
● Computer and database savvy a must
Full time employee benefit package includes: Medical, Dental, Vision, Life, & Accident insurance, Paid Time Off, Health Reimbursement Account, Flexible Spending Account, 403(b) Retirement Plan, Half-Day Summer Fridays, Flexible Hours, and more!
Playwrights Horizons is committed to building a more just future for everyone -- particularly those from historically oppressed communities, by employing a broad spectrum of voices that will enrich the quality and vitality of our work. Playwrights Horizons is an equal opportunity employer that has a strong institutional commitment to uprooting all systems of oppression by demonstrative equitable and inclusive practices.
The organization is interested in receiving applications from people of all races, sexual orientations, gender identities, ages, classes, religions, and people with disabilities.
The facilities at Playwrights Horizons are fully accessible and ADA compliant.
Please email cover letter and resume as pdf to Jobs@phnyc.org with the job title & candidate name in the subject line.
No phone calls please. Vaccination required for hire.