Syracuse Stage, the professional theatre in residence at Syracuse University, is accepting applications for a scenic artist.
The production department and shops support both the professional productions of Syracuse Stage and those of the Syracuse University Department of Drama. Employees work with professionals and undergraduates in all areas.
Syracuse Stage is committed to anti-racism, equity, diversity, and inclusion in all areas of our work, on and offstage, and is an Equal Opportunity Employer. Syracuse Stage acknowledges with respect the Onondaga Nation, firekeepers of the Haudenosaunee, the indigenous people on whose ancestral lands Stage stands. https://www.onondaganation.org.
Candidates from underrepresented groups and those who share these values and have demonstrable experience advocating for anti-racism, equity, diversity and inclusion are strongly encouraged to apply.
Employee will be subject to all COVID-19 protocols set forth by government, Syracuse University, and partner unions, including but not limited to, documentation of vaccination or documentation of medical/sincerely held religious exemption from vaccination.
Please complete our online submission form located here.
If you have any difficulty with submitting via the google form, please email materials to HR@SyracuseStage.org
We ask for materials in written form, but we invite applicants to share using whatever format best supports their skill set, be it written, audio, or video. Alternatives to a digital portfolio can be a link to a website, a social media account that predominantly contains relevant work, or a shared platform (such as a google folder).
All applications will be reviewed and some will be selected to submit additional information. Leading candidates will be interviewed.
Please include the following:
· a resume
- cover letter
- Examples of relevant work and/or a digital portfolio if available
The Scenic Artist reports to the Scenic Charge as part of a 3-person staff, working to support both Syracuse Stage and Syracuse University Department of Drama productions and ancillary events. A typical season consists of 12+ fully supported productions. The 3,200 square foot paint shop is located off site from the theaters. The paint shop is one of three shops, with scenery and props, that make up the Scenic Department. Regular collaboration with these shops is to be expected. While the scenic artist primarily works in the paints Department, cross-departmental work assignments can and do occur.
- The description of the position in this document is representative and not exhaustive. Regular collaboration between shops in the production department and the wider organization is expected. Duties and responsibilities may shift with organizational needs.
Duties and Responsibilities:
Complete production projects as coordinated by Scenic Charge Artist regarding all painted treatments, This could include:
- Detail-oriented projects such as: wood graining, stone finishes, faux finishes, aging, and other textures,
- Layout of large projects such as floors, drops, walls, etc.,
- Color-mixing and color matching,
- Documentation of paints and procedures,
- Assist in completion of on-stage notes as required for each production and delegated by Scenic Charge, Technical Director and/or Scenic Designers
- Assists in the maintenance of a clean and organized paint shop, including the inventory of paint, tools, and supplies.
- Contribute to maintaining a safe environment for all staff, student, and over-hire labor. This includes:
- proper use of all tools and safety equipment.
- proper handling, storage, and disposal of all chemical products.
- adherence to the adopted company protocol concerning the safety of all Syracuse Stage/Syracuse University employees.
- This role includes participation on the Health and Safety Board.
- Paint on non-production and/or facilities projects as assigned
Ideal Candidate Attributes:
- self-motivated, organized
- team player
Ideal Candidate Skills:
- Color Matching and Mixing
- Layout of large projects
- Time management
- Some faux finishing experience
- relevant professional experience, or equivalent combination of education and experience
Physical Demands & Working Conditions:
- Standing for 5-8 hours a day
- Working on ladders and in lifts
- Lifting 50lbs.
- Hot shop conditions in the summer
Position Dates & Salary Information:
- Full-time seasonal position
- Guaranteed 40 hour work week; some weekends; overtime may be required, paid at time-and-a-half rate
- Generous benefits package, including health insurance
- Typical schedule is Monday-Friday, 8:30am - 5:00pm
- Start date targeted for mid-July, 2021, negotiable
- End date in late May 2022
- Pay rate is $16 per hour