The Public Theater
New York, NY 10003
Scenery Office Administrator
The Public Theater seeks a Scenery Office Administrator to work in a fast-paced, fun-filled, high-volume office. As a Scenery Office Administrator, you will support the day-to-day operations of the Scenery Department and serve as the primary liaison between the department and its vendors. The Scenery Office Administrator reports to the Technical Director and works closely with the Scenery Office staff to coordinate schedules, material ordering, and budget tracking for seven venues and numerous overlapping productions.
We expect everyone on our team to have a positive attitude, a willingness to learn, and an ability to take direction. The environment we work in is constantly changing, so we need you to be adaptable and stay calm under pressure.
Essential Duties and Responsibilities:
• Manage the freelance pool, including serving as the primary contact and maintaining crew schedules, availability, and employee records.
• Oversee scheduling of freelance scenery labor for all events and productions
• Maintain all freelance records, including contact sheets, availability spreadsheets, and hours tracking
• Collect and submit weekly freelance labor payroll information
• Partner with vendors to place orders for equipment and materials
• Complete and submit documentation for all expenses, including POs, invoices, and receipts
• Coordinate department shipments and deliveries and vendor follow-up
• Facilitate accurate cost tracking in all scenery budgets
• Assist the supervisors with maintaining all department calendars
• Maintain and organize Scenery Department archives
• Conduct product and process research as necessary
• Maintain Safety Data Sheets for the department
• Perform general data entry and other administrative-related tasks
• At least one year of administrative experience
• Previous experience in a theater environment preferred
• Excellent attention to detail, strong written and verbal communication skills
• Familiarity with budgets and accounts payable is a plus
• Comfortable working in a team and collaborative environment
• Excellent interpersonal skills, including an ability to cultivate and manage positive relationships and delivercustomer-centric solutions
• Proficient in Microsoft Suite, especially Outlook, Excel, and Word
• Ability and desire to work cooperatively with others and be a part of an amazing team of artists, craftspeople, and professionals
• Must be able to maintain a positive attitude in times of stress and retain their sense of humor
• Basic Knowledge of theatrical scenery practices, terms, materials, and tools a plus
COVID-19 and Vaccination Policy:
• As a condition of employment, The Public will require all who report to work on-site (either at The Public Theater or any other workspace or performing location) to receive the COVID-19 vaccine.
Starting salary is $55,000. For consideration, please submit your resume to firstname.lastname@example.org. This is a full-time, non-exempt role.
This position will have a hybrid work arrangement which includes working hours spilt between home/offsite and on-site at The Public Theater. The schedule is M-F 9-5
The Public is committed to creating a diverse and inclusive environment and is proud to be an equal opportunity employer. Applicants from populations underrepresented in the theater field are strongly encouraged to apply. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, gender, gender identity or expression, familial status, sexual orientation, national origin, ability, age, or veteran status.
Starting salary $55,000