Origin Theatre Company
New York, NY 10018
ORIGIN THEATRE COMPANY – PRODUCING ARTISTIC DIRECTOR Origin Theatre Company produces and presents a diverse range of contemporary European theatre in New York City. Since its founding in 2002, Origin has been devoted to discovering, nurturing, and introducing new exciting voices from Europe, whose work provides unique perspectives on national identity, cross-cultural relations, and global understanding. Through both its main stage productions and theatre festivals—including its First Irish Festival, European Month of Culture, and other ongoing activities—Origin is proud to offer these artists an important gateway to America. An immediate opportunity is available for a Producing Artistic Director who will guide, develop, and build Origin’s programs to align with the organization’s long-standing mission. Reporting to the Board of Directors, the candidate will engage with a range of local, global artistic and cultural talent while stewarding the company through its next phase of creative growth. Origin Theatre Company is an equal opportunity employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, disability, military status, or any other characteristic protected by law. Candidates from communities currently underrepresented in theatre leadership roles are strongly encouraged to apply. The Producing Artistic Director will have the opportunity to shape the future vision of the organization, while working with senior board leadership to help direct and lead an engaged and dedicated staff. This is a high-profile opportunity for a candidate with the ability to give expression and form to a strong vision; to secure stakeholder support and resources (both practical and financial) towards the realization of that vision; and to work with a team to provide compelling programs in New York City.
Specific responsibilities include:
• Produce, guide and develop work for the main stage while bringing fresh ideas to the forefront to support annual programming
• Work with the PR team on strategies for institutional and program marketing
• Initiate and engage in fundraising initiatives including developing new donor leads, presentations, and stewardship
• Cultivate partnerships with artists and cultural organizations
• Develop and execute annual budgets for the organization.
• Highly collaborative, with the ability to build strong and effective internal and external relationships
• Demonstrated leadership ability and creative vision in a theatre setting
• Strong portfolio of past projects that demonstrate curatorial vision and production experience (individual productions, festivals, commissioning, readings etc.) that successfully engage audiences and press
• Active relationships with European arts community that may include artists, producers, and performing companies, as well as local consulates and government entities that support the arts here in NYC
• Proven ability to plan and oversee all aspects of program development including budgets, schedules, contracts, project production, events, and promotion
• Clear written and oral communication skills, with an ability to communicate a programmatic vision as well as to engage supporters around Origin’s mission
• Flexibility to respond to new opportunities as well as NYC’s ever-shifting cultural landscape; Experience with any databases/systems?
Competitive salary based on experience.
December 1, 2020 -