Jewish Community Center
Owings Mills, MD 21117
The Rosenbloom Owings Mills JCC Children’s Theatre Program is seeking a resident Musical Director for the upcoming 2021/2022 fiscal year. The ideal candidate is an arts education professional who will work closely with the Arts & Culture staff to help reimagine, build upon, and expand all JCC Children’s Theatre Production Company (CTPC) programming that involves music. This fall, these programs are primarily, but not limited to, the Zimra choral program, CTPC’s Broadway Bootcamp, and the Academy Theatre Program. The JCC and the CTPC celebrate both being proudly Jewish and being an inclusive space for all. We welcome staff and participants from diverse backgrounds and actively strive to provide an open and welcoming setting, irrespective of personal practices, beliefs, or backgrounds. We expect our musical director will create an equitable classroom environment by performing their duties with empathetic understanding towards every student, regardless of their gender, sexuality, race, ability, or identity. Experience working with children is necessary.
Essential Job Functions & Qualifications:
· Attend and play for Academy Theatre Production & Zimra Choir auditions, as well as weigh in about a student’s vocal ability and impression on talent along with the artistic team.
· Teach and lead the Wednesday night Zimra choir rehearsals and help create a cohesive fall showcase with students. Will assist the arts education manager with creating said show vision and set song list.
· Attend and supply all musical accompaniment for all rehearsals and performances that require music.
· Will be responsible for teaching and upholding the integrity of all vocal and instrumental components within the CTPC upcoming productions, showcases, and classes.
· Assist young performers, as individuals or as a group, with songs and learning parts.
· Has experience working with differing levels of musicianship, age groups, and learning abilities.
· Is able to command a rehearsal when called to do so, but to remain patient and ever-inclusive to all students as per the JCC and CTPC values.
· Experience with transposing music, if deemed necessary, to accommodate the ranges and talents of students is preferred.
· Experience with teaching individual voice lessons is a plus.
· Enjoys working as a team and thrives on collaboration with peers and colleagues.
General Duties Include:
· Responsible for understanding all safety procedures of the J and have the ability to lead the participants in the event of an emergency.
· Attend all meetings, special events, and trainings required as per contract.
· Meet all JCC standards for professionalism in conduct and appearance at all times.
· Other duties as assigned by supervisor.
· The work environment characteristics described here are representative of those an employee encounters while performing the essential functions of this job. Reasonable accommodation may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
· The work environment is typically fast paced. This job requires high energy and interaction with participants, other agency staff, and outside partners, vendors, and others.
The physical demands here are representative of those that must be met by an employee to successfully perform the essential functions of this job. Reasonable accommodations must be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform essential functions. While performing the duties of this job, the employee is regularly required to sit, stand, walk, use a computer, talk, sing, and hear. The employee may also be required to reach with hands and arts, stoop, kneel, or crouch. While performing the duties of this job, the employee may be required to lift and/or move up to 20 pounds.
This job description is not intended to be all-inclusive, and the incumbent will also perform other reasonably related business duties as assigned by their supervisor. The JCC reserves the right to revise or change job duties as the need arises. This job description does not constitute a written or implied contract of employment.
Both rehearsals and performances will be held in-person at Rosenbloom Owings Mills Jewish Community Center in Owings Mills, Maryland. Current COVID-19 protocol mandates that all children and adults while in a classroom setting indoors are required to wear masks as well as adhere to ever changing guidelines as they apply. Because the COVID-19 situation is ever-changing, we recommend that applicants continue to check the JCC website for up-to-date information on the nature of the Fall session and COVID-19 safety guidelines.
October-December 2021; Classes/Auditions begin Monday October 25th and extend through December 16th. Fall session classes will typically be held Sunday-Wednesday’s after school. Estimated 6-10 hours a week. Upon completion of the fall session and evaluation from the supervisor, will then discuss spring employment and availability.
October 25, 2021 - December 16, 2021