MANAGING DIRECTOR – SYNETIC THEATER
We serve the Art, and Art serves the community Synetic Theater was founded in 2001, emerging from the creative vision of founders Paata and Irina Tsikurishvili, Georgian artists who emigrated to the United States in the 1990s. Trained in dance, theater and film, the Tsikurishvilis combine Eastern European theatrical traditions with distinctly American styles to tell classic stories through movement, music, technology, and visual arts. The company was founded with a mission to redefine theater by blending innovative techniques and movement, investing in artists’ growth, and creating unforgettable theatrical experiences for every audience.
Synetic made its debut with its first wordless Shakespeare production, Hamlet...the rest is silence, thrilling audiences with its athletic and high-voltage physical theater. Synetic’s innovative adaptation earned three Helen Hayes Awards – for Outstanding Resident Play, Outstanding Choreography, and Outstanding Director.
Synetic would go on to win dozens more Helen Hayes Awards with over 100 nominations to date, recognition from the American Theatre Wing as an emerging theatre company, and the honor of “Washingtonians of the Year” from Washingtonian Magazine, for co-founders Paata and Irina Tsikurishvili.
Synetic produces three to four main-stage productions and one to two family series productions every season, while running an educational studio for children and adults, conducting community outreach programs, and touring family and main-stage productions that reach over 36,000 patrons annually.
IDEAL CANDIDATE The ideal candidate will have experience working outside of traditional, American, regional theater structures; a love of community, people, and relationship-building that can generate financial support and organizational capacity (and a track record of doing so); and the flexibility and confidence to work within the company’s founding culture, artistic roots, and work style.
As Synetic emerges from the challenges of the global pandemic, there are exciting opportunities for company growth. The ideal candidate will be galvanized by the presence of passionate company members, opportunities in streaming and touring, and the blueprint outlined in the recently updated strategic plan to work hand in hand with the Founding Artistic Director to secure the funding, infrastructure, and additional resources necessary to realizing the company’s vision while seizing upon new ideas for expansion.
MANAGING DIRECTOR The Managing Director holds a key leadership role that oversees business operations within the organization and ensures the implementation of the organization’s strategic priorities. The Managing Director is a member of Synetic’s senior leadership team and will work in close collaboration with the Founding Artistic Director and CEO, along with departmental directors and Board of Directors, to help lead the achievement of organizational goals. This position reports to the Founding Artistic Director and CEO.
With a focus on organizational effectiveness, health, and sustainability, the Managing Director is responsible for heading the operations, finance, and administrative functions as well as ensuring streamlined workflows across all cross-functional teams. The position also serves as an advocate for staff resources and brings expertise in fostering a positive and inclusive work culture. This role supports Synetic’s founding vision of a vibrant artistic community, its commitment to attracting, training, retaining, and engaging staff to support the organizational mission and values, all in service of Synetic’s innovative and world-class artistic and educational programming.
Departmental oversight and direct reports include those from Finance, HR, Development, Marketing, Box Office, and Front of House. The Educational Department as well as all artistic positions report to the Founding Artistic Director and CEO.
Leadership + General Management
● Serve as the internal leader of the organization, implementing policies and procedures to ensure effective management practices, high performance, and a positive organizational culture.
● In partnership with the Founder and Artistic Director, shape and implement 5-Year Strategic Plans and mid-cycle strategic planning processes.
● Lead efforts to create a collaborative work environment across all functional areas that effectively integrates all department timelines and processes.
● Bring efficient and effective systems to increase the productivity of the organization, as well as nourish and ensure that the organization’s artistic culture can thrive.
● Serve as point person and lead for any Synetic organizational consultants and legal advisors.
● Oversee a strategy and process for organizational evaluation — goal setting, data collection and analysis — to measure success across both internal and external benchmarks.
● Advise on implementation of internal and external programs to ensure consistency across the organization — examples include Code of Conduct enforcement, setting stipend and honorarium levels, and health and safety standards.
● Serve as executive lead on DEIA initiatives and data gathering projects that relate to tracking progress against DEIA goals. Finance + Operations
● Lead organizational financial management and reporting, including but not limited to leading the annual budgeting process, leading Board Finance and Audit Committee meetings, and working closely with the Board Treasurer.
● Work closely with Founding Artistic Director and CEO and the Artistic Team in support of financial and season planning, budget reconciliations, and annual forecasting.
● Oversee Synetic’s accounting function, ensuring smooth functionality of monthly reconciliations, annual audit processes, and internal financial tools and workflows.
● Lead long-term planning for HR, performance management practices, and staff engagement improvements.
● Oversee the review and execution of all organizational contracts; advise on departmental contract language and negotiations as needed to ensure org-wide consistency.
● Work closely with IT vendors to lead and implement a strategy for technology optimization utilizing new and existing systems. Plan strategically for improvements and upgrades.
● Manage and harmonize the efforts of the Operations Team in support of the vision of the organization’s artistic and education programming leadership.
● Support project management of cross-departmental projects and new initiatives (i.e. touring and streaming) as it relates to identifying accountability structures, timelines and deliverables.
● Serve as point person for all departments on high-level operational needs, such as budget questions and approvals, increasing staffing, or salary questions and issues.
● Serve as point of contact to office landlord and facilities manager, overseeing adherence to terms of the lease and leading future negotiations. Advancement
● Supervise and expand Synetic Theater’s contributed revenue streams from individual donors, foundation grants, corporate sponsorships, and government partnerships.
● Support the building of annual revenue projections and revenue generating engagement strategies.
● Actively participate in the cultivation and solicitation of major donors.
● Represent the philanthropic needs of Synetic Theater to members of the Board.
● Lead the creation and refinement of earned revenue models.
● Support the organization’s development, business partnerships, and special event strategy, especially as it relates to the collaboration of the marketing, partnerships, and operations functions of the organization.
● Represent Synetic at local community and government events and programs, and other cultivation opportunities.
Qualifications and Requirements
● At least 5 years of senior management experience in a US-based 501(c)(3) not-for-profit organization, preferably in a performing arts or cultural organization ● Proven effectiveness managing and coaching others, empowering them to make decisions, and setting and achieving strategic objectives
● Demonstrated experience in nonprofit financial management, including experience with financial reporting, audits, legal compliance, and budget development and management
● Organization development and human resources management experience, and experience with performance and evaluation culture
● Technologically savvy, with experience overseeing information technology staff and vendors
● Proven experience working with fundraising professionals to secure major philanthropic gifts
● Fluency in the cultural, funding, and organizational landscape of the DC Metro area
● Proven success in developing revenue strategies and contributing to the cultivation, engagement, and stewardship of constituents and strategic partners, including past success working with a Board of Directors
● Experience in effectively communicating key information and data, including presentations to senior management, Board of Directors, and other key stakeholders
● Strong written and verbal communication skills; an open and clear communicator with excellent interpersonal and multidisciplinary project skills
● Ability to work collaboratively with diverse groups of people in a creative environment, including people who speak English as a second language
● Availability to work extended hours, including evenings and weekends, at points throughout the year.
● Passion, idealism, integrity, positive attitude, mission-driven; a solutions-oriented and self-directed problem solver Salary range is from $65,000-$85,000. Synetic is dedicated to considering a broad array of candidates, including those with diverse workplace experiences and backgrounds. We encourage applicants of all backgrounds and identities to apply for roles that align with their interests and career trajectory. If you meet a majority of the qualifications and see yourself in this role, we would love to see your application To apply……. Please use your cover letter to tell us about what you will bring to this role.
Jun 22, 2022
$65,000 - $85,000
APPLY BY EMAIL
*NOTE: Do not copy/paste the above email address as it is
encoded with SPAM protection. Just click it to initiate an email from your
preferred email client.