The Shakespeare Theatre of New Jersey
Florham Park, NJ
Position Title: Lighting Technician
Classification: Seasonal, Full-time, Salaried, Non-exempt (7/2022 – 1/1/2023)
Reports to: Head Electrician
The Shakespeare Theatre of New Jersey (STNJ) in Florham Park and Madison, NJ is seeking a Lighting Technician (LT). Position will assist the Head Electrician in the day-to-day operations of the electrics department; hang, focus, and strike lighting equipment as needed; serve as programmer for each production and special event; and collaborate with other production staff to ensure normal, safe day-to-day operation.
· Attend all hang, focus, and work calls.
· Assist in supervising and training over-hire, intern, and volunteer crews
· Operate the light board for rehearsals, performances, and special events.
· Assist managing the organization and maintenance of lighting equipment and storage areas.
· Upkeep of all show paperwork.
· Oversee a safe working environment that conforms to all local, state, and federal (OSHA) safety standards and regulations.
· Assist in minor facility projects as directed.
· Two years’ experience as an electrician and/or programmer. Academic experience will be accepted.
· Must have broad knowledge of professional theatre practices. Formal, informal, and cross-disciplinary training and experience will all be considered.
· Strong drafting skills in Vectorworks is a plus. Ability to read plans and lighting plots is a must.
· Experience with Lightwright, Google Suite, MS Office, Dropbox, and Zoom is required.
· Strong experience in programming on ETC EOS family consoles.
· Some experience in troubleshooting, electrical wiring, and creating practicals is preferred.
· Must have knowledge of common chemicals and their safe usage and disposal protocols. Verifiable training in hazardous materials and/or hazard communication is preferred.
· Must have strong communication and time management skills. Ability to adapt to a fluctuating workload and fast-paced schedule is required.
· This position splits time between the theatre and production shop environments.
· Must be comfortable using a variety of hand tools, stationary and portable power tools, and specialized equipment as found in a typical theatre.
· Position is sometimes required to stand, sit, or kneel for extended periods during regular work.
· Must be able to lift and move 50 pounds, climb stairs and ladders, and work in confined spaces.
· Must be comfortable working at heights up to 25 feet. Safety equipment and specific training will be provided.
Compensation for this position is $700/week, based on experience and qualifications. This position is eligible for overtime after 40 hours/week.
STNJ offers medical, dental, and vision insurance, life insurance, 403(b) retirement savings plan, paid vacation, and personal and holiday leaves after a 90-day probationary period.
Applicants should submit a cover letter, and resume in PDF format to Melissa Barry, Production & Facilities Assistant at [email protected]. No phone calls, please.
The Shakespeare Theatre of New Jersey has instituted a mandatory COVID-19 vaccination policy for all employees. Proof of vaccination must be provided before beginning work. All employees must agree to adhere to The Shakespeare Theatre of New Jersey’s COVID Safety Plan.
The Shakespeare Theatre of New Jersey is an equal opportunity employer committed to hiring, supporting, and promoting a diverse and inclusive workforce. Equal employment opportunities are available to all applicants without regard for race, color, religion, gender, gender identity or expression, sexual orientation, national origin, disability, age, veteran status, or any other characteristic protected by applicable law. Applicants from historically underrepresented groups in the industry are encouraged to apply.
Jun 22, 2022
*NOTE: Do not copy/paste the above email address as it is encoded with SPAM protection. Just click it to initiate an email from your preferred email client.