Head Carpenter, Ziff Ballet Opera House
The Arsht Center
Miami, NY 33132
As a key member of the Production Department, the Head Carpenter supervises the carpentry crew; operates and manages the stage systems of the Ziff Ballet Opera House (ZBOH). The Head Carpenter supervises the load-in, set up, running and load-out of all ZBOH stage productions as well as the carpentry crew during all work calls, overseeing the proper use of the facilities and equipment in a safe and efficient manner. This position requires prior experience running a stage; stage rigging equipment, pits, and winches. This position requires strong and effective leadership skills, excellent communication, and the ability to resolve problems in an efficient diplomatic manner. This “working” position requires a very strong work ethic and a genuine desire to help others.
- Demonstrate strong leadership and management skills.
- Functions as a hands-on department head.
- Run and maintain the Ziff Ballet Opera House stage systems in the safest and most efficient manner and according to the manufacturers operational guidelines.
- Work with and supervise local crews in the construction of scenic elements, rigging of trussing, lighting, hanging of drapery, maintenance of the scenic and physical plant elements. Troubleshoot any technical problems encountered.
- Liaise with Arsht Center production management and road companies to ensure the safe and efficient load in, run of show and load out.
- Maintain the highest quality in product and performance of those assigned to the carpentry department and those working on stage.
- Reports all unsafe working conditions to production management. Initiate corrective action where possible.
- Assist in advancing shows and events, including reviewing technical riders and drawings in preparation with Technical Directors before load in.
- Help in the development of maintenance and production budgets. Cost estimates for Arsht Center shows, events and four wall rentals.
- Develops and implements a maintenance schedule for all stage systems and equipment, implementing necessary steps to assure operational safety and integrity.
- Assist Arsht Center Technical Directors in setting work calls and scheduling breaks.
- Maintains stage reports, daily reports, billing and settlement information.
- Ensure crews adhere to standard OSHA and Theatrical Safety Practices.
The ideal candidate will have the following professional experience:
- At least seven (7) years’ experience as a Head Carpenter with a large major national touring company, orchestra, or multi-venue performing arts organization.
- Ability to read and understand CAD drawings of ground plans, sections, and hang plots.
- Working knowledge of scenic construction techniques, welding, pneumatics, hydraulics, motion control, and rigging.
- Have demonstrated strong ability to lead, mentor, negotiate, troubleshoot, and problem solve.
- Ability to analyze production schedules to utilize personnel best.
- Experienced in coordinating the efforts of and managing others.
- Ability to relay information and assignments in a concise, efficient manner.
- Knowledge of all theatrical equipment, sound, lighting, stage, etc.
- Must be able to work a schedule to include nights, weekends, and holidays.
- Must be proficient in Microsoft Office Suite.
- Working knowledge of drafting software.
- ETCP certification is ideal.
The Head Carpenter, Ziff Ballet Opera House should be:
- A strong leader
- Able to work well with a vareity of personalities
- Determined and persistent
- Highly energetic
- Dedicated to accomplishing the organization’s goals
- While performing the duties of this position, the employee is frequently required to stop, reach, stand, walk, lift, pull, push, grasp, communicate, and use repetitive motions.
- Frequently lifting up to 75 pounds, climbing and working from a ladder and high reach personal lifts is requirement of this position.
- The position requires the individual to meet multiple demands from multiple people and interact with the public and other staff.
- Ability to stay alert and focused during long periods of inactivity.
- Ability to work in low light situations.
- Must be comfortable working at height.
Suggestions for candidates and expressions of interest should be addressed to:
Email: firstname.lastname@example.org, with Head Carpenter, Ziff Ballet Opera House search in the title line.
Note: The above job description is intended to describe the general nature and level of work being performed by staff assigned to this job. It is not intended to be an exhaustive list of all responsibilities, duties, and skills required of staff in this position. Duties, responsibilities, and skills are also subject to change based on the changing needs of the job, department, or organization. The job description does not constitute an employment agreement between the employer and employee and is subject to change by the Adrienne Arsht Center as the requirements of the job change.
The Adrienne Arsht Center is an equal opportunity employer committed to being an inclusive workplace and strongly believes in the importance of having a diverse group of individuals represented.
$30.90 per hour
APPLY BY EMAILSend e-mail to resumes...
*NOTE: Do not copy/paste the above email address as it is encoded with SPAM protection. Just click it to initiate an email from your preferred email client.