New York City Center
New York, NY 10019
Job Title: General Manager
Job Classification: Exempt & Full-timeManages: Assistant General Manager, Artist Services & Company Manager, Assistant Director of Music Reports To: Vice President, Chief Operating Officer Scheduling: Varies based off rehearsal and performance schedules. Evenings and weekends are regularly required.
Job Overview: The General Manager position leads theatrical administrative operations and is responsible for the contracting of all artists and creative teams involved with City Center mainstage and studio performances. The GM oversees the administrative aspects of mounting productions and is expected to proactively plan and execute the successful presentation of all programs while knowledgeably representing City Center in the performing arts community. The General Manager is also expected to demonstrate a passion for this work while upholding City Center’s mission, and our commitment to being an anti-racist organization.
· Lead the advancement and execution of all musical theater and dance programming.
· Perform all daily operations to mount a production and ensure its successful running.
· Develop in partnership with Artistic Directors, Producer of Musical Theater Producer, Dance Programming Department, and the COO, a detailed budget, schedule, and design deadlines for each production.
· Support the casting process by working with the Producer of Musical Theater, Casting Agents, Artistic Directors, Directors, and other necessary creative staff to schedule and facilitate all auditions.
· Participate in closing artistic deals with licensing bodies and critical creative team members during the season planning process.
· Oversee the coordination and execution of contractual and employment paperwork, company care and logistics, special events, and projects for each production.
· Ensure that all deadlines, schedules, and budgets are being adhered to for each production.
· Work collaboratively with the Chief Operating Officer and VP of Programming to complete the budgeting and re-forecasting processes for each production.
· Monitor the script adaptation and score restoration process to ensure necessary deadlines are being met and appropriate resources are allocated.
· Collaborate with the Music & Score Restoration Department for all budgeting, hiring, payroll, and rehearsal support.
· Oversee the processing of all necessary paperwork, payroll, payments, contracts, claims, etc.
· Oversee Company Management operations as it relates to ticketing, billing, transportation, and housing.
· Maintain accurate historical records of contracts, agreements, and other important documents.
· In partnership with Marketing & Communications, ensure the accurate artistic billing on marketing materials. Supervise and see to the success of any PR events, interviews, press days, etc.
· Anticipate, manage, and proactively coordinate and communicate programming needs with internal administrative and production departments.
· Establish effective communication for stakeholders, producers, staff, and creative teams on a production’s status and changes.
This Role Requires:
· 10+ years of previous experience in general management in musical theater and dance
· Extensive experience involving contract negotiations with high profile artists and their agents
· Experience working with union members and business representatives, and managing the grievance and arbitration process
· Scheduling flexibility to work nights and weekends during rehearsals and performances
To be successful in this role, you will be expected to demonstrate:
· Excellent communication and organizational skills
· Understanding of practices used to create an anti-racist and inclusive work environment with equity and belonging prioritized for all cast members and creative teams
· Strategic use of established industry connections
· Deep knowledge of industry relationships, nuance, and current trends
· Ability to uphold confidentiality and apply discretion as needed
· Ability to keep track of multiple projects with a keen sense of accuracy and efficiency
· Possess a skill of handling interactions with various personality types
· Computer skills and ability to perform basic functions of Microsoft Office
· Ability to approach work with a spirit of congeniality, collaboration, and cooperation
As a valued member of the City Center administrative team, you will receive:
· Exempt Salary of $100,000+
· Comprehensive insurance coverage (medical, dental, life, disability)
· Generous paid time off
· Pre-tax flexible & dependent care savings accounts
· Pre-tax transit savings
· Pension Plan with (CIG) Cultural Institutions Group (fully vested after 5 years)
· 401K retirement savings account
· Access to various dress rehearsals, performances, educational events, and professional development opportunities
· Email your resume and cover letter to Jobs@NYCityCenter.org.
· Please include General Manager in the subject line.
· In the cover letter, please include why this position at City Center interests you and how your previous experience enables you to be successful in this role.