Brooklyn Academy of Music (BAM) is a multi-disciplinary arts center located in Brooklyn, New York. For more than 150 years, BAM has been the home for adventurous artists, audiences, and ideas—engaging both global and local communities. With world-renowned programming in theater, dance, music, opera, film, and much more, BAM showcases the work of emerging artists and innovative modern masters.
BAM is seeking a Director of Communications to lead the planning, development and execution of BAM’s communication strategy and public profile. The qualified candidate will oversee all aspects of internal and external communications including public relations, media relations (Publicity), and information sharing with staff; to reinforce, promote, enhance, and protect BAM’s brand reputation; serve as an ambassador for the organization; and to build relationships with the media to advance the organization's position with relevant constituents and drive broader awareness, affinity, and donor support.
Essential Duties and Responsibilities
- Center anti-oppressive practices in all departmental business processes, prioritize and advance BAM as an anti-racist and anti-oppressive organization.
- Communicate directly with executive staff and artists in order to fully understand BAM programming and priorities to promote institutional and artistic directives.
- Develop and maintain relationships with the media in order to maximize coverage of BAM’s artistic offerings, advance its institutional profile, attract funding and donors, and increase ticket sales.
- Assert BAM’s communication strategy to address all stakeholders, including the community, staff, artists and audiences.
- Develop a crisis communication plan to ensure organizational preparedness.
- Develop a comprehensive internal communications plan in conjunction with the VP of Marketing, AVP of HR, and the president’s office.
- Garner media coverage by pitching story ideas to journalists; procure critical reviews and provide photos for placement
- Research and write materials for press by gathering information from artists, GM, internet, and BAM’s press files
- Greet press on-site in theaters and at performances/events
- Collaborate and confer with executive staff to develop external messaging
- Share press exposure to staff and artists
- Project Management - lead and coordinate projects, plans, calendars, research and insights with team members
- Support the team on crisis & issues management
- Liaise with other departments to effectively gather information that will support communications initiatives and objectives
- Identify challenges and emerging issues facing the organization. Work with leadership team and staff to recognize internal and external communications opportunities and solutions. Define and execute appropriate strategies
- Create thoughtful and creative narratives to influence perception and behavior
- Prepare talking points, speeches, presentations and other supporting material
- Identify opportunities for BAM leadership to be interviewed and profiled in the media
- Clearly define and communicate institutional messaging on a regular basis
- Advise content creation including publication of BAMbill articles as well as identify outside writers for those articles
- Edit/proofread various departments’ written materials
Required Education, Knowledge, Skills and Abilities
- 7+ years experience of overseeing communications within performing arts with progressively increasing management responsibility required
- Demonstrated experience in managing & growing staff from diverse backgrounds required
- Extensive knowledge of arts and culture, especially the performing arts and film preferred
- Strong media relationships: New York, national and international
- Excellent written and communications skills
- Previous experience (at least five years) as a publicist [and public relations specialist]
- Prior experience drafting and disseminating press releases
- Ability to multi-task, work quickly and efficiently
- Editing and proofreading skills
- General computer and social media fluency
- Ability to communicate in multiple languages is a plus
- Interest in working at a non-profit organization
- Ability to work remotely
Pay: Salary commensurate with experience. This position is full-time exempt and BAM offers a full benefits package including medical, dental and vision care, employer-paid life insurance and pension.
Application Instructions: Must complete an online application through BAM's website - no phone calls, emails or walk ins, please.
Brooklyn Academy of Music is an Equal Opportunity Employer. BAM recognizes that historic institutional practices lead to a non-inclusive environment and is working to address diversity and inclusion in all forms. Individuals in BAM are experiencing their own pace during this process, which is not uncommon when addressing power and privilege. The Publicity department supports and continues to take part in this process.