Backyard Kid's Theater
ABOUT THE COMPANY
Backyard Kid’s Theater is a 501c3, not-for-profit organization that offers musical theater programming to young people aged 7-18. The company was founded in 2020 during the height of Covid, and began with 14 kids performing Aladdin on a tennis court. In the three years since, we have served over 500 kids in Marin and Sonoma Counties. Our mission is to encourage, empower and celebrate children through arts education and training. We create a safe space where each child is challenged to discover and explore the life skills, self-esteem and pure joy that theater can bring.
Seeking a full-time Director / Choreographer to join the programming team. This individual should love working with children and be confident teaching a large range of ages and abilities. Experience directing and choreographing youth theater is essential. The ideal candidate would direct, choreograph, and collaborate with their fellow staff members on the creation of shows. Also, they would be confident vocally modeling melody and harmony lines to students (piano skills are not required). The candidate should have a positive attitude, creative mind, collaborative nature, and exhibit patience and understanding with both their students and their colleagues.
Backyard Kid’s Theater values a diverse workplace and strongly encourages women, BIPOC, LGBT individuals, people with disabilities, members of ethnic minorities, foreign-born residents, and veterans to apply. Applicants will not be discriminated against because of race, color, creed, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, age, religion, national origin, citizenship status, disability, ancestry, marital status, veteran status, medical condition or any protected category prohibited by local, state or federal laws.
DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES:
DIRECTING / CHOREOGRAPHING
● Work alongside directing staff to collaborate on the creation of shows
● Independently and collaboratively create age and skill level appropriate choreography
and blocking for students
● Assist with production responsibilities
○ i.e.: create audition material, collect props, gather sound effects, etc...
● Communicate professionally with the costume designer, lighting designer, sound
designer, photographer, videographer, and any other scheduled contractors
● Direct / choreograph / vocally teach music for a variety of projects, age groups, and skill
● Assist backstage as needed
PROGRAM PLANNING AND ADMINISTRATION
● Work with programming staff to determine show titles and explore new programming and growth and expansion ideas
● Perform light administrative duties as needed
PARENT / STUDENT RELATIONS
● Calmly and kindly deal with student behavioral issues
● Communicate professionally and effectively with parents and guardians
● Start Date: January, 2024. Training, as needed, at an hourly rate prior to start date
● Salary: $45,000 - $50,000 (commensurate with experience)
● Benefits: Health insurance (partially paid by employer), paid time off (vacation, sick, personal);
partially flexible remote-work options.
● Schedule: Afternoons, evenings, and some weekends will be required for attending rehearsals,
performances, and meetings.
● Location: BKT runs programs in Sonoma and Marin Counties. This position will work almost entirely in Marin. Rehearsals take place in Mill Valley and performances in San Anselmo. Occasional work in Sonoma may be required.
Please send a resume, cover letter, and two references to [email protected] with the phrase “Program Director Application” in the subject line. (We will only contact references after the final round of interviews and we will let candidates know in advance of our intent to contact them.) Applicants being considered will be contacted by early October for an interview.
Jan 1, 2024 -
$45,000.00 – $50,000.00 per year
*NOTE: Do not copy/paste the above email address as it is encoded with SPAM protection. Just click it to initiate an email from your preferred email client.