Washington, DC 20056
TITLE: Creative Producer
POSTITION AVAILABLE: January
ABOUT STUDIO THEATRE Studio Theatre is a longstanding Washington cultural institution dedicated to the production of contemporary theatre. We are a community of artists and audience members who believe in the power of theater to help us understand the world, engage with some of the most important ideas and issues of the day, and affirm our common humanity. Our work is marked by its emphasis on excellence in acting and design and the signature intimacy of our four theatres, which all seat fewer than 225 patrons. Unforgettable plays and electrifying performance delivered up close have been Studio hallmarks for our entire history.
Each season, we present a diverse roster of thought-provoking contemporary plays, featuring local, national, and international artists. We also invest in the incubation and development of new work and nurture the next generation of arts leaders through workforce development programs. Studio is a values-focused organization that pursues artistry and inclusion, and brings characteristic thoughtfulness and daring to our efforts, onstage and off. We are committed to anti-racism in our work and make a concentrated effort to proactively dismantle barriers that have excluded people from joyful participation in our art form.
Rooted in our mission to foster a more thoughtful, empathetic, and connected community, Studio strives to open our doors to a wide and diverse audience. Our community engagement efforts include access and affordability initiatives, a growing community partner program, dedicated performances for students, and a commitment to building openness that allows us to function as a hub for our neighborhood and city. In all that we do, Studio endeavors to make an essential contribution to the quality of life in our nation’s capital.
Studio is currently in the midst of a major renovation of its main facility. We are transforming a theater into a state-of-the-art ‘raw room’ with no fixed seating, rearranging and renovating our lobbies and restrooms, creating our first dedicated rehearsal room, creating a new indoor/outdoor café space, and making other improvements throughout the building. The project should be complete early in 2022. This is a rare opportunity to be a part of the opening and running of a transformed venue.
The creative producer serves as a right-hand to the Artistic Director, managing the theatre’s day-to-day artistic operations. This is a full-time position, reporting to the Artistic Director and overseeing the Artistic department’s apprentices.
Please Note, Studio Theatre has instituted a mandatory COVID-19 vaccination policy for all employees. As such, proof of FDA-approved vaccination is required prior to beginning work. In compliance with all applicable laws, Studio Theatre considers requests for accommodation on the basis of medical need or sincerely held religious beliefs
ESSENTIAL DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES:
· Overseeing casting operations: serving as local casting director, collaborating with out-of-town casting professionals, managing the actor budget, and ensuring that casting systems are well-functioning and up-to-date
· Working with Artistic Director and visiting directors to assemble creative teams for all productions
· Acting as a primary liaison for visiting directors and other artists
· Helping shepherd shows to stage by providing day-to-day stewardship and helping solve problems
· Regularly scouting talent, especially locally
· Spearheading Studio’s community engagement efforts, and proactively maintaining and building relationships with core community partners like Howard University, Duke Ellington School for the Arts, and Whitman Walker Health
· Coordinating and facilitating student matinees
· Planning seminars and other enrichment activities for the apprentice class
· Collaborating with the Production department to create out-of-town housing matrix, season calendar, and production budget
· Working collaboratively with other departments, especially Marketing to help craft marketing content and Development to help develop artistic content for Development events
· Participating in season planning -- i.e. reading and recommending plays for production, developing ideas for future productions -- if appropriate to a candidate’s interests and experience
· Supervising and mentoring artistic apprentices – currently two
· Maintaining a meaningful network of professional connections, especially in the DC area
· Working to strengthen and implement Studio’s practices around anti-racism.
SKILLS AND QUALIFICATIONS:
Studio Theatre is seeking an individual with considerable talent, passion for the theatre, and ability to advance institutional aims. We expect a candidate will have:
· A degree in theatre or equivalent professional experience
· Experience helping to advance artistic aims at a professional theatre
· An eye for talent
· Experience managing people and collaborating across disciplines
· A track record of effective communication orally and in writing
· A demonstrated commitment to Diversity, Equity, and Inclusion, and enthusiasm to work with teams with diverse identities
· Willingness to work on a dynamic and flexible schedule, including evenings and weekends
This position is a full-time salaried exempt position with an annualized salary of $60,000+.
Studio Theatre offers a generous benefit package including medical with a partial employer contribution and a funded HRA, dental, and vision insurance and an optional FSA; short-term and long-term disability insurance; life insurance; 401K with an employer match; and commuter benefits.
HOW TO APPLY:
Interested applicants can apply using this form.
If you need assistance filling out the form, please email firstname.lastname@example.org or call 202.232.7267 x 0 for assistance. Compliance with the COVID-19 vaccination policy is not required at the application stage but will be required if a job offer is extended.
Studio Theatre is proud to be an equal opportunity employer. Applicants from populations underrepresented in the theatre field are strongly encouraged to apply. We are committed to creating a diverse and inclusive environment, and all qualified applications will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, gender, gender identity or expression, marital or familial status, sexual orientation, national origin, disability, age, or veteran status.