NY Classical Theatre
New York, NY 10038
NY Classical Theatre is seeking a costume and props designer for our upcoming production of King Lear (Shakespeare/Nahum Tate) that will perform in four outdoor, public venues throughout Manhattan and Brooklyn. The ideal candidate self-identifies as: a Black, Indigenous, Pacific Islander, Latinx/Latino, Middle Eastern, North African, Asian, South Asian or multiracial creative partner whose background reflects the global majority audience communities we serve.
Compensation and Commitment
$2,637. This job is open to union and non-union designers. Members of United Scenic Artists will also receive pension and health contributions (per USA Project-Only Agreement).
Build: June 1-18, 2021 Tech: June 19-23, 2021 Previews: June 24-30, 2021
· Design costumes in collaboration with the director, Stephen Burdman
· Create final costume renderings
· Build, source, and alter costumes for actors
· Maintain the costume and props budgets and submit receipts to our bookkeeper
· Supervise a professional costume crew (Assistant, Stitcher, Wardrobe Supervisor)
· Create a design plot and prepare maintenance instructions for Wardrobe Supervisor
· Source properties
Budget and Other
· $14,000 (Costumes/Labor), $500 (Properties)
· The design must adhere to the needs of our outdoor settings including heat/rain, grass/asphalt, and ease of daily transport by our running crew.
· An indoor studio space and all equipment will be provided.
· Tech and previews will take place out-of-doors in Central Park.
· NY Classical will follow all Covid-19 protocols prescribed by USA, SDC, and AEA such as daily cleaning and HEPA filtration of the costume studio, organization & regular disinfecting of costumes, interacting with actors (measuring/fitting/dressing/quick-changing) and crew using proper PPE, and personally following Covid-19 protocols (i.e. regular testing, wearing PPE, etc.).
· 3-5+ years of experience in the field of costume design or a similar combination of education and practice.
· Training in styling black hair and character wigs (as necessary).
· Local hire only.
· Broad knowledge of and/or keen interest in the production of the classics.
· Highly organized, with particularly strong skills in communicating both orally and written.
· Intellectual curiosity and a sincere enthusiasm for NY Classical’s mission, programs, and our signature Panoramic Theatre staging technique.
· EMAILS ONLY; no phone calls, please
· Send your cover letter, resume, and website URL to firstname.lastname@example.org with the subject line: Last Name, First Name, Costume Designer
· Applications must be received no later than 5pm on Monday, April 26, 2021.
Applicants can read more about our efforts to produce classical theatre with an anti-racist mindset at: nyclassical.org/idea-plan-of-action
All NY Classical employees represent the company internally and externally by supporting our mission, organizational history, and IDEA values. Staff must learn and uphold company policies, including: Non-Discrimination, Anti-Harassment, Environmental Stewardship, and the guidelines outlined in the Employee Code of Conduct (nyclassical.org/work-with-us)
May 3, 2021 - June 30, 2021