New York, NY 10036
Playwrights Horizons is an award-winning nonprofit Off-Broadway theater that develops and produces new work of emerging and established American playwrights and musical theater artists. The organization produces 6 shows a year, commissions and develops new plays and musicals, runs an undergraduate theater school in conjunction with New York University, and operates Ticket Central, a low-cost box office that serves the New York City not-for-profit performing arts community, and 440 Studios, a rehearsal facility that serves the Off-Broadway and downtown community.
Playwrights Horizons seeks an experienced Controller to oversee the management and reporting of its financial activities, including all general accounting functions such as budgeting, grants reporting, cash flow analyses, investment monitoring, insurance and risk management policies, payroll, banking, tax reporting and audit. The Controller works collaboratively with the Managing Director on financial trend analysis, strategic planning, and streamlining business operations.
The Controller is the leader of a 4-person business staff and is integral to the successful implementation of the financial goals of the organization. The Controller reports to the Managing Director and the Finance, Audit, and Investment Committees of the Board of Trustees.
● Oversee day to day financial operations, including accounting functions, investment, grant and endowment tracking, audit, insurance, and tax reporting such as Form 990
● Prepare internal and external financial reports and statements, including monthly, quarterly, and year-end reporting as needed
● Work closely with Managing Director and Department heads on annual budget preparation, projections and forecasts
● Work with the Development Department on financial materials for grant proposals and reporting
● Prepare and track financial analyses for various components of the organizations' operations
● Prepare internal Cash Flow, including monthly, quarterly, and year-end reporting as needed
● Maintain and improve existing processes, procedures, and reporting functions
Education and Experience Requirements:
● Degree in Accounting
● MBA a plus
● 8+ years financial experience in the nonprofit sector, preferably at a performing arts organization
o Proficient in Microsoft Office Suite & Google Docs
o Proficient in accounting software, preferably Financial Edge & Raisers Edge
o Familiarity with other software such as Audience View and Ungerboeck a plus
● 3+ years’ experience in managing and leading a team and being a strong collaborator
● Strong written, interpersonal, communication and presentation skills
● Ability to multitask, work under pressure, and meet deadlines
The organization offers a competitive benefits package, including opportunities for professional development, paid time off, 403b plan and summer half-day Fridays.
Salary range $115,000-$130,000, based on experience.
At Playwrights Horizons, we believe that a broad spectrum of voices enriches the quality and vitality of our work. Playwrights Horizons is an equal opportunity employer and has a strong institutional commitment to diversity in its staffing and to equitable and inclusive practices. The organization is interested in receiving applications from people of all races, sexual orientations, gender identities, ages, classes, religions, and people with disabilities.
The facilities at Playwrights Horizons are fully accessible and ADA compliant.
To apply, cover letter required along with resume and references to firstname.lastname@example.org with Controller in the subject line. No mail, faxes, or phone calls.