New York City Center
New York, NY 10019
Company Overview: New York City Center has played a defining role in the cultural life of the city since 1943—making the best in the music, theater, and dance accessible to all audiences. Championed by a staff of passionate arts lovers, this commitment continues through celebrated dance and musical theater series including the Fall for Dance Festival, the Tony-honored Encores!, and the newest series Artists at the Center and City Center Dance Festival. The distinctive neo-Moorish theater in midtown Manhattan welcomes over 300,000 annual visitors to experience internationally acclaimed artists on the same stage that legends like George Balanchine, Leonard Bernstein, Barbara Cook, Martha Graham, and Paul Robeson made their mark. Home to a roster of renowned companies including Alvin Ailey American Dance Theater and Manhattan Theatre Club, City Center’s dynamic programming, art exhibitions, studio events, and master classes, are complemented by education and community engagement programs that bring the performing arts to over 11,000 New York City students, teachers, and families each year. Job Overview: New York City Center is seeking an experienced and proactive team member to join our Housekeeping Staff. The Custodian is a physical job that requires some lifting of heavy materials and cleaning of stage and theatre areas. Qualified candidates must be detail-oriented, reliable, and capable of having fun while maintaining high work standards. Applicants should have a flexible schedule that includes weeknights and weekends, with ample availability during the holiday and spring break seasons. After a 60-day probation period, this employee will be required to join Local 32 B/J of the Theater, Amusement & Cultural Service Employee Union. The Custodian is expected to demonstrate a passion for cleanliness and teamwork while supporting City Center’s mission and our commitment to being an anti-racist organization. Responsibilities
Cleaning of all areas in the building i.e., auditorium, backstage, dressing rooms, rehearsal studios, bathrooms, and offices, as assigned
· Collecting and disposing of trash
· Upkeep of restrooms, office spaces, and kitchens
· Floor care
· Polishing of glass and stainless steel
· Other duties as assigned
Transport, set-up and tear down furniture, signs, receptacles, and other event related materials, for meeting, exhibits, shows and various other functions
· Assisting in dismantling, placement and storing of NYCC owned equipment including, but not limited, to tables, chairs, and podiums.
· Must have a minimum of 1 year of experience cleaning in a building, performance venue, hotel, or hospital environment.
· High School Diploma or equivalent
Additional Knowledge, Skills & Abilities
· High attention to detail
· Ability to follow directions & work independently.
· Possess time management and prioritization skills
· Possess effective communication and customer service skills
· Ability to lift 50 pounds
· Ability to walk up and down flights of stairs, bend, squat, and stand for the duration of a shift
· Floor care experience preferred, Stripping/Scrubbing/Buffing
As a valued member of the City Center staff, you will receive:
· Non-exempt hourly rate $22.64 and eligible for overtime
· Access to various dress rehearsals, performances, educational events, and professional development opportunities
· Email your resume and cover letter to Jobs@NYCityCenter.org.
· Please include Cleaner in the subject line.
· In the cover letter, please include what attracts you to this position at City Center and how your previous experience and interest will help you be successful in this role.