The Working Theatre Company Inc
New York, NY 10018
Working Theater, a 36-year-old off-Broadway theater, dedicated to creating theater for, about, and with working people, seeks a Business Manager to oversee company administration and operations. The Business Manager will work directly with the Producing Artistic Directors to ensure the efficiency of business operations as well as set strategic goals for the future.
Founded in 1985, Working Theater makes our productions relevant, accessible, and affordable to all, regardless of geography or socioeconomic status. Through ticket subsidies, an active commissioning program, a successful grassroots audience engagement program, and a pioneering arts-in-education program, our audience reflects the full diversity of New York. Working Theater has been committed to access, serving a diverse community of working people, and fostering conversations across cultural and ideological demarcations.
* Financial Management:
Work alongside leadership to develop the annual budget, provide quarterly reports and facilitate the preparation of annual financial statements.
Oversee check writing, payroll, accounts payable, taxes and fees on a weekly basis.
Work with a PT bookkeeper to prepare monthly reconciliations, process payroll liabilities and maintain accurate records of financial transactions
* HR Management:
Overseeing compliance, legal, benefits and insurance needs
Updating HR policies
Preparing contracts for seasonal employees, producing partners and freelance collaborators
* Development Support:
Support the company’s operating and project grants from the preparation of applications to the submission of final reports
Overseeing fundraising calendar, coordinating mailings and thank yous;
Research new and updated funding opportunities from public and private sources
*Interfacing with artists’ unions, production management, stage management, venue and community partners;
*Overall office and systems management.
The ideal candidate:
- is passionate about the performing arts, community engagement, and the mission of Working Theater;
- has excellent organizational skills: managing critical paths, creating timelines, prioritizing deadlines, maintaining schedules, tracking/documenting materials, proofreading copy, etc;
- has a strong commitment and implementation towards anti-racism and anti-harassment;
- has research and grant writing skills, and can support fundraising activities, including corporate sponsorships and government, foundation and individual donations;
- has strong interpersonal skills and is comfortable working in a variety of communities with stakeholders such as producing partners, community partners, artists, audiences, volunteers, board members, and current and potential donors;
- has a Bachelor’s degree or equivalent experience in arts, nonprofit administration, business management or related fields;
- is fluent in Quickbooks, Microsoft Office and G- Suite;
- has a working knowledge of Mailchimp, Ovationtix CRM or similar.
Job Type: Part-Time or Full-Time. Minimum 15 hours/week.
Salary: $25/hour, commensurate with experience
Benefits: 2 weeks paid vacation, opportunities for support for professional development.
Location: Working Theater’s current office is located at 520 8th Avenue NYC. We are working remotely for the immediate future-- employees are expected to join virtual staff meetings at least once weekly.
TO APPLY: Send cover letter and resume to Laura Monarque and Tamilla Woodard via email: info (AT) theworkingtheater.org. Working Theater encourages applicants of all backgrounds and identities. Preferred start date is May 1, 2021.
About Working Theater:Please learn more about the Working Theater, our mission, commitment to BIPOC communities, Anti-bias practices and accessibility at www.theworkingtheater.org
May 1, 2021 -
$25/hour, commensurate with experience