New York, NY 10003
Ballet Tech Foundation (“The Foundation”) is seeking a new leader to build upon its 47 years of achievement. Founded in 1974, The Foundation is a not for profit entity which operates Ballet Tech. Ballet Tech is a public-private partnership with the New York City Department of Education (“DOE”) which operates the New York City Public School for Dance, combining dance and academic education for qualified students from the 4th through the 8th grade. The dance education is under the exclusive management of The Foundation, and the academic education is under the exclusive management of the DOE; both are housed in a building just off of Union Square.
Ballet Tech is committed to introducing tens of thousands of NYC public school children to the beauty and rigor of classical dance and to providing those most talented with tuition-free dance training necessary to fulfill their natural gifts. The purpose of The Foundation is the furtherance and evolution of classical ballet. With that, it aims to create a richer and more authentic American mode of ballet through the investigation of choreography and dancing, and to develop succeeding generations of ballet dancers whose diversity reflects the full spectrum of the American community. Today, The Foundation has 18 full-time staff members (including 9 Ballet Tech part/full time dance faculty), 50 part-time staff members, 12 board members and an annual budget of $4.5 million.
Since its inception The Foundation has been led by its founder, Eliot Feld, who will be retiring in July. The Foundation is seeking a new leader both to ensure the continued growth and success of Ballet Tech and to build upon Mr. Feld’s legacy. Ballet Tech offers a singular
educational experience for its students by providing the highest level of dance training in a nurturing and supportive environment, where students of all backgrounds feel valued and have a sense of belonging that enables them to thrive. The Foundation seeks to engage an individual who, in addition to possessing both strong leadership and managerial skills, is an effective communicator committed to sustaining such an environment.
The Director will be responsible for overseeing the artistic and educational programs at Ballet Tech in addition to The Foundation’s day-to-day operations, including managing and supporting the staff, implementing organizational and staff
policies, implementing or updating any changes where necessary, managing budgetary and contractual obligations, and coordinating fundraising with the Director of Development.
Candidates for the position should have:
● Professional performance experience, preferably in classical ballet
● Extensive classical ballet teaching experience with 11 to 15-year-old children.
● Pedagogical training and knowledge of ballet curricula/syllabi.
● Choreographic experience.
● Some experience in education or childhood development is strongly preferred.
● A commitment to fostering an inclusive space for work and dance, which embraces and acknowledges the rich diversity of our students and their families.
Reports To: Board of Directors
Time commitment: Full-Time
Director responsibilities will include:
● Overseeing and evaluating the dance faculty’s performance and professional development; classroom management; anti-bias/implied bias training; and reviewing, managing and implementing a syllabus.
● Supervising student recruitment, auditions and level placement.
● Curating a roster of guest teachers, choreographers and workshops.
● Conceptualizing and directing the annual Kids Dance performance at the Joyce Theatre.
● Conducting parent/student orientation and parent/student conferences or communications.
● Coordinating field trips for students to attend professional dance performances in NYC.
● Supervising student evaluations.
● Increasing the visibility of Ballet Tech by conceiving and developing performance opportunities for the students.
● Coordinating a residency program for guest choreographers.
● Preparing Ballet Tech students to audition for dance programs to continue their training upon graduation.
● Managing budgetary and contractual obligations.
● Engaging and collaborating with the Board of Directors of The Foundation to advance Ballet Tech’s mission, programming, short- and long-term strategic planning, and fundraising.
While it is intended to be an accurate description of the position, this document is not necessarily an exhaustive list of the associated responsibilities and skills.
Anticipated salary: $140,000, commensurate with experience.
Benefits: paid vacation, health, dental, vision insurance, participation in a 401K plan.
How to Apply: Email resume and cover letter to email@example.com
$140,000/year commensurate with experience