New York, NY 10013
Theatre Row, a program of the non-profit Building for the Arts, is an Off-Broadway multi-theater complex in the heart of the Theater District that serves as an affordable home for performing artist organizations, and a lively, accessible venue for diverse audiences.
Located just two blocks from Times Square, Theatre Row’s six theaters, five rehearsal studios, and nine offices are rented by over 100 theatre and performance arts companies each year, bringing over 125,000 patrons to Theatre Row annually.
Theatre Row manages the box office for all theatre renters within the complex.
Theatre Row is seeking a full-time Audience Services Manager. This role manages the box office and works directly with the Building & House Manager to ensure a positive customer service experience for all patrons at Theatre Row. Successful candidates are excited about customer service, have strong team management skills, and are familiar with both commercial and non-profit ticketing best practices.
The Audience Services Manager is a 40hr a week, non-exempt position that reports to the General Manager. The Box Office is open daily from noon to 6pm; and until 30 minutes past last curtain on nights with performances. There are evening performances 6-7 days a week and 2-3 matinees weekly. The Audience Services Manager manages a staff of 4-6 which includes a full-time Box-Office Coordinator, and two to four part-time Box Office Associates.
While the Audience Services Manager creates the schedule for all Box Office Staff, their schedule has historically been Monday through Friday, 11:30am to 8:30pm, with two days ending earlier pending curtain schedules; occasional weekend and holiday flexibility necessary. Availability to work evening curtains is expected.
Responsibilities of the Audience Services Manager include but are not limited to:
· Manage, train, schedule, and supervise all Box Office staff.
· Build and maintain shows and discount codes in the Spektrix ticketing system. This includes both the initial build and any changes requested by the producer or GM’s of the shows as their runs progress.
· Manage website and front of house marketing assets including printed posters and digital signage.
· Work with producers on creating all pre- and post- show audience emails as well as any additional marketing e-blasts.
· Manage all customer service requests from patrons and ensures all requests are filled promptly and within standard procedures.
· Work with General, House, and Company Managers from every production to ensure accurate adherence to Box Office procedures.
· Prioritize and respond to a high volume of email for current and upcoming shows.
· Accept any incoming phone calls for tickets and process accordingly.
· Run “will call” and assist with customer service questions and issues, including taking on the second ticket window to assist with pick up and sales.
· When Building & House Manager is not available, act as on-site supervisor for Assistant House Managers
· In the case of emergency, the Audience Services Manager assists the Building & House Manager with crowd control and is responsible for communicating procedures to the Box Office Staff.
· Three or more years’ experience in a New York City box office, at least one year of which was in a direct management role
· Proficiency with Spektrix or demonstrated ability to learn new technology
· Experience with management of marketing e-blasts and website updates
· Strong interpersonal and customer relations skills. Ability to create and sustain positive working relationships with theatre companies and staff
· Familiarity with both commercial and non-profit theatre best practices
· Ability to quickly work under pressure with grace and good humor
· Demonstrated ability to be kind but firm in enforcement of box office policies.
· Passionate about theatre arts
Salary is commensurate with experience. Medical and Dental benefits are included.
To apply please send cover letter and resume to: firstname.lastname@example.org. Resume and Cover Letter should each be one page or shorter and highlight applicant’s abilities in staff management and customer service. Please do not send a headshot. No calls will be accepted.
Due to COVID-19 this position will begin remote. Candidates should expect to be in person in the New York City Metro area starting late summer. All employees of Theatre Row will be required to have proof of vaccination or provide a medical or religious excusal to come into the building.
Theatre Row is an equal opportunity employer. We do not discriminate in recruitment or employment on the basis of race, color, national origin, age, religion, disability, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity or gender expression, marital or domestic/civil partnership status, genetic information, citizenship status, uniformed service member or veteran status or any other characteristic protected by law.
Theater Row is a program of the non-profit Building for the Arts (www.bfany.org).