Manhattan School of Music
New York, NY 10027
Title: Associate Production Manager
Department: Production Department
Reports To: Production Manager
Supervises: IATSE Local 1 crew during opera/musical theatre events
Internal Contacts: Students, Faculty, Staff
External Contacts: Overhire crew, guest artists, designers, theatrical equipment vendors including lighting, rigging, scene shops
Start Date: ASAP
Employment Status: Full-time, non-exempt; ten-month position that works August through May
OPERA/MUSICAL THEATRE PRODUCTIONS
· Assume the role of Associate Production Manager for all Opera and Musical Theatre (OMT) Productions, including those that are produced using online/virtual formats.
· Take notes for all production meetings.
· In collaboration with the Production Manager, maintain a detailed production budgets for each production, including physical production and labor.
· Working with the Production Manager, maintain production calendars (including film schedules for online/virtual productions) for all productions.
· Support designers in meeting deadlines and adhering to budgets.
· Maintain MSM equipment inventory across venues and call out any conflicts between productions based on the performance calendar.
· Coordinate with stage management room reservations for rehearsals and filming (for online/virtual formats) as needed.
· Provide support for the rehearsal room (including online rehearsal rooms) by managing rehearsal report requests, checking in on rehearsal room needs and communicating with stage management.
· In consultation with the Production Manager, make purchases and approve expenses within the pre-approved budgets.
· Aid in coordination and communication of student tech schedules, send daily schedule emails to the student tech teams.
· For OMT productions in online/virtual formats, work with the production and artistic teams to facilitate and provide management oversight for all on-site film location load ins and film shoots.
· When on-site, in-person performances resume, provide management oversight in the theatre from load-in through strike.
· When on-site, in-person performances resume, coordinate repairs and maintenance during the run of the show.
· Working with the Production Manager, coordinate post-mortem meetings to help improve the process in which MSM produces OMT productions.
· Aid the Production Manager with additional tasks, as needed.
PRODUCTION OFFICE ADMINISTRATIVE WORK
· Assist Production Office staff with creation and communication of crew schedule.
· Assist Production Office staff with processing of payroll for full-time, overhire, and student staff.
· Assist with concert production as time and schedule allow.
· Work with the Production Manager as additional support for MSM Precollege productions.
· In consultation with the Production Manager, create production calendars for productions.
· In consultation with the Production Manager, schedule and take notes at production meetings.
· Manage all rehearsal needs and process rehearsal report requests.
· Communicate the resources that can realistically be used to the creative team and staff.
· 1+ year PM experience or 3+ years APM experience
· Professional demeanor, superior written and verbal communication skills, comfort in high-pressure situations, and the ability to adapt are essential
· Solution-oriented and ability to collaborate with teams of various backgrounds
· Working understanding of the operations of Carpentry/Rigging; Automation; Lighting; Sound; Props; Costumes
· Working knowledge of Microsoft Word, Excel, Outlook, Zoom, Vectorworks required
· Must be able to read and evaluate technical drawings; ability to draft is a plus, but not required
· Experience with IATSE crews and contracts preferred.
· Ability to work irregular and extended working hours
· Ability to move throughout the theatre and office environment and continuously perform essential functions for an extended period of time
· Familiarity with digital/online performance medium a big plus
Send letter of application and résumé including three references to:
Associate Director of Production
No phone calls, please.
Equal employment and equal educational opportunity have been and will continue to be fundamental principles at Manhattan School of Music, where employment and enrollment are based upon personal capabilities and qualifications without discrimination or harassment because of race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, the status of being transgender, age, national origin, marital status, citizenship or veteran status, disability, or any other characteristic protected by law. Manhattan School of Music does not permit retaliation against individuals who oppose a discriminatory practice or participate in an investigation.