Brooklyn Academy of Music (BAM) is a multi-disciplinary arts center located in Brooklyn, New York. For more than 150 years, BAM has been the home for adventurous artists, audiences, and ideas—engaging both global and local communities. With world-renowned programming in theater, dance, music, opera, film, and much more, BAM showcases the work of emerging artists and innovative modern masters.
BAM is currently seeking an Associate Director of Institutional Giving to support BAM’s fundraising efforts through solicitations of foundations and government agencies. The qualified candidate will secure foundation and government funding through effective grant proposals and manage key support areas in funder relations, such as donor crediting and site visits. A successful candidate will be responsible for supervising Inst. Giving Assistant and Intern positions, including hiring (where needed) and providing primary training.
Essential Duties and Responsibilities for the Associate Director of Institutional Giving:
- Work with Director of Institutional Giving, Vice President of Development, programming staff and others to strategically develop fundraising proposals, reports, and inquiry letters.
- Meeting with programming staff, writing narratives and creating budgets, as well as developing and maintaining all up-to-date descriptive BAM main-stage, education, and community development programming language.
- Work with Director of Institutional Giving to determine team’s priorities and with Institutional Giving Team to conduct research into new prospects and funding opportunities.
- Establish, build, maintain and steward relationships with institutional donors, including conducting program site visits on and off site, greeting them at BAM events and attending external events as a representative of BAM when needed.
- Oversee and manage foundation crediting in all marketing materials and other documents
- Represent the Grants Unit at internal and external events and meetings as required, which occasionally may occur during evening or weekend hours.
- Supervising, coaching, and support of Institutional Giving Assistant (FT) and Intern (PT) as well as management of department processes, regular assignments, and administration.
- Review and guide the work of other Institutional Giving staff.
- Manage freelance grant writer on per project basis.
Required Education, Knowledge, Skills and Abilities:
- Minimum five years of demonstrated experience in non-profit fundraising, preferably in institutional funding in arts environment
- Excellent oral and written communication skills; superb editing skills
- Familiarity with of New York City funding landscape
- Experience with government grant applications
- Excellent knowledge of Microsoft Suites: Excel, Word, Acrobat Adobe
- Excellent knowledge and experience reading and writing budgets
- Demonstrated supervisory experience
- Demonstrated interest in BAM’s programming and mission
- Ability to work some evenings/weekends
- Ability to multi-task
- Highly organized with attention to detail
- Ability to practice a high level of confidentiality
Pay: Salary commensurate with experience. This position is full-time exempt and BAM offers a full benefits package including medical, dental and vision care, employer-paid life insurance and pension.
Application Instructions: Must complete an online application through BAM's website - no phone calls, emails or walk ins, please.
Brooklyn Academy of Music is an Equal Opportunity Employer. BAM recognizes that historic institutional practices lead to a non-inclusive environment and is working to address diversity and inclusion in all forms. Individuals in BAM are experiencing their own pace during this process, which is not uncommon when addressing power and privilege. The Individual Giving department supports and continues to take part in this process.