The Drama Book Shop
Assistant Store Manager
Apply via our portal: https://dramabookshop2.workbrightats.com/jobs/
Founded in 1917 by the Drama League, the Drama Book Shop became an independent store in 1923. In 2011 the Drama Book Shop received a Tony Honor for Excellence in the Theatre. Secure in its reputation as the city's best source for theatrical works ' it keeps 8,000 plays in stock ' the shop has begun to nurture and sponsor them, as well. When a troupe with a musical that originated at Wesleyan University needed urban rehearsal space in 2002, it received carte blanche to convene downstairs in the store's 50-seat Arthur Seelen Theater, named for the owner's late husband. "In the Heights" went on to win several Tony Awards in 2008. The Drama Book Shop is set to reopen in a new location in the summer of 2021. The Drama Book Shop seeks an Assistant Store Manager that will be required to manage all aspects of daily operations and staffing of both the caf and Book Shop at The Drama Book Shop.
Reporting to the Operations Manager and Senior Management, The Drama Book Shop's Assistant Store Manager's position is a Non-Exempt position required to manage all aspects of daily operations and staffing of both the cafe and book The Drama Book Shop. The Drama Book Shop Assistant Store Manager must always serve as an ambassador for The Drama Book Shop, all associated with the brand and will oversee Cafe and Store: Shift Leads; Sales Associates; and Baristas.
Essential Functions / Responsibilities:
- Required to manage a staff of 20-30 people: responsible for the hiring and onboarding of staff with assistance from Creative Goods Merchandise, Human Resources and staff; scheduling, training staff, implementing disciplinary action where necessary including making recommendations on staff terminations; deal with sick calls, vacation, and time-off requests.
- Ensure all necessary employees (management included) are certified to work in a food/caf environment and make certain the caf and any employee are compliant with all NYC regulations.
- Daily communication with the Operations Manager and General Manager is required and will serve as a backup in situations when they are not unavailable.
- Responsible for daily settlements and reporting, cash management, POS management and troubleshooting, sales, and managing bank deposits for both Book Shop and caf.
- Assistant in ordering and managing all supplies for the Book Shop and caf, including developing and managing relationships with outside food vendors and janitorial services in support of and in the Operations Manager's absence.
- Conduct regular caf order analysis to control costs and waste.
- Displays, "the customer comes first" attitude by training and holding sellers and shift leads accountable for delivering excellent customer service.
- Plans, identifies, communicates, and delegates appropriate responsibilities and practices to store and caf team to ensure smooth operations flow.
- Works with the Operations Manager as needed on e-commerce coordination.
- Act as a building contact for any issues that may occur, such as but not limited to power outages, plumbing, and any IT issues with computers, laptops, and printers.
- Work with event planners/programing director to make sure event spaces are prepared, staffed, and accessible as needed.
- Responsible for addressing and managing any aspect of the cafe in emergencies.
- Demonstrates a calm exterior presence during periods of high volume or major events; manages smooth transitions to keep Book Shop and cafe operations up to standards.
- Ensures and is accountable for adherence to application wage and hour laws for non-exempt employees.
- Responsible for weekly payroll reporting.
- Any other task that would be deemed necessary to the success of daily operations.
Required Knowledge / Qualifications:
- Must have a positive attitude and the ability to adjust and acclimate to any situation or circumstance that arises and lead a team to rise to the same enthusiasm level.
- Previous knowledge of cafe/coffee shop/retail store operations is preferred.
- Managerial experience required.
- Must have the ability to work well with the public and other employees, both internal and external.
- Must be able to lift and move items up to 50 lbs. without assistance.
- Must be comfortable being on your feet for extended periods.
- Must be able to climb stairs
DBS provides equal employment opportunities to all employees and applicants for employment and prohibits discrimination and harassment of any type without regard to race, color, religion, age, sex, national origin, disability status, genetics, protected veteran status, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, or any other characteristic protected by federal, state or local laws.
May 1, 2021 -