Count Basie Center
Red Bank, NJ
The Count Basie Center for the Arts, in the ever-growing and beautiful downtown Red Bank, New Jersey, is seeking an outgoing, service oriented, experienced Assistant House Manager to support our Front of House operations.
Founded in 1926, The Count Basie Center for the Arts is New Jersey’s premier center for the cultural arts and its commitment to being a diverse, equitable and inclusive (DEI) performing arts organization is at the core of our mission to Inspire, Educate and Entertain.
As part of that commitment, the Count Basie Center has established a DEI Task Force comprised of board, staff, and community members. Our purpose is to intentionally embrace and amplify positive change toward diversity, equity, inclusion and accessibility in every area of our organization, including programming, education, staffing, board recruitment, and community engagement.
The Count Basie Center is determined to provide an inclusive environment in which all who walk through our doors can do so as their most authentic selves. We firmly believe that everyone of all backgrounds and identities deserves access to experience the enrichment that the arts contribute to a full life.
Reporting to the House Manager, the Assistant House Manager is responsible for supporting all aspects of Front of House operations for our campus, which consists of the historic Hackensack Meridian Health Theatre as well as our second venue, the Vogel. This individual should possess superior customer service skills, with the ability to independently make quick decisions under pressure in a fast-paced environment and to be able to communicate concisely and effectively with both our patron base and our Front of House team. We are looking for someone outgoing, responsible, self-sufficient, meticulous, diligent, respectful, and savvy to fill this role, with demonstrated leadership abilities and experience in de-escalation and conflict resolution.
· Provide professional and courteous customer service for our campus by handling patron inquiries and addressing any issues as they occur during an event, while ensuring the safety and comfort of all visiting patrons.
· Work in tandem with the Box Office for all ticketing conflicts.
· Oversee the completion of all pre-show duties, including the distribution of programs and facility preparations.
· Assist in the creation of Front of House Assignment Sheets for the usher staff for both campus venues.
· Supervise the usher staff during performances, ensuring that they follow all Front-of-House policies and procedures, providing direction and training as necessary.
· Prepare the Vogel prior to show time, in accordance with the Floor Plan in use. Duties include, adjusting tables, laundering tablecloths, distributing candles, menus, & centerpieces, and helping the ushers to complete all necessary tasks before opening to the public.
· Help to facilitate VIP and Meet & Greet events, including staffing check-in tables, distributing merchandise or badges, and supervising activities.
· Assume the responsibilities of the House Managers when they are not present, including compiling information and details about each performance into a show report and completing payroll for each shift.
· High school diploma or beyond, or equivalent experience.
· Two to five years of direct customer service experience, preferably in the performing arts or hospitality industries.
· Strong communication, problem-solving, & time management skills. Must be able to think on your feet and work under pressure.
· Experience dealing with a wide variety of people & personalities.
· Computer literacy required. Proficiency in Microsoft Office Suite, specifically Microsoft Excel & Word, as well as Google Docs.
· Availability during non-traditional hours; mostly evenings and weekends.
· Able to stand during work shifts. Must be able to lift up to 50 lbs, if needed.
· Familiarity with the Americans with Disabilities Act (ADA) and its guidelines for compliance.
· CPR and/or First Aid certification preferred.
This is a part-time, non-exempt position and includes eligibility to participate in the Basie’s 401(k)-retirement plan. Hourly pay rate is $18.00. Interested candidates should send a cover letter and resume to [email protected]. No phone calls please.
*NOTE: Do not copy/paste the above email address as it is encoded with SPAM protection. Just click it to initiate an email from your preferred email client.