Chicago Shakespeare Theater
A Regional Tony Award recipient, Chicago Shakespeare Theater Chicago Shakespeare Theater is seeking a bold, visionary, and collaborative individual to serve as its Artistic Director. The Artistic Director will be a leader committed to the high standards of excellence for which Chicago Shakespeare Theater is known, in the quality of performances on its stages, the audience experience from the moment they enter the theater’s doors, the support and respect accorded visiting artists, and the seriousness of its community outreach and education programs.
Possessing a keen sense of artistic excellence, the AD will also have an appreciation for a broad spectrum of theatrical art. Adept at bringing artists together and fostering collaboration in new ways, the successful candidate will be dedicated to supporting artists in realizing their visions and creating their best work and will bring a strong set of relationships with creative partners. As one of Chicago Shakespeare’s key ambassadors and fundraisers, the AD will articulate an artistic vision that inspires and attracts audiences, supporters, staff, and potential partners.
While the successful candidate does not have to be a theater director, it is essential that the Artistic Director be committed to presenting world-class productions of Shakespeare’s work; to exploring how new theatrical work from around the globe can be in conversation with Shakespeare’s plays; and to exploring Shakespeare’s works as they relate to and give insight into our world of today and tomorrow.
Working in partnership with the Executive Director, the AD reports to the board of directors and will live within the Chicago Metropolitan area. Travel is an expected part of this role.
Ideal experience for this position includes:
· Artistic leadership, as evidenced by one or more of the following: a history of creating or producing impactful theatrical experiences, spanning new work and classics; a record of collaborating directly with artists and helping them do their best work; an extensive network of contacts and partners across artistic communities; and relevant experience with Shakespeare’s canon through direction, performance, dramaturgy, design, production, or other discipline.
· Experience serving as an ambassador for an organization; demonstrated interest in cultivating and participating in meaningful and mutually beneficial community partnerships, such as high-quality education programs.
· Leadership in Inclusion, Diversity, Equity, and Access, including experience interacting empathetically with interested parties of varying views and backgrounds and pursuing measurable outcomes that advance an organization’s IDEA goals.
· An enthusiasm for fundraising and a sincere interest in developing and cultivating relationships with current and potential donors and board members. Ability to attract artistic talent and a record of building strong relationships with artists throughout the field, ideally locally, nationally, and internationally.
· Experience building, developing, and motivating a strong, unified team.
· Experience developing and evaluating strategic priorities in collaboration with a board is helpful.
The estimated annual base salary range for this position is $295,000 to $325,000. Actual base salary will be dependent on the individual’s skills, experience, and qualifications.
Full job description is located at: https://www.chicagoshakes.com/leadershipsearch
Chicago Shakespeare Theater has retained the leadership advisory firm Spencer Stuart to support it in the search for the next Artistic Director. Please send an e-mail message your resume and statement of interest to [email protected].
$295,000.00 – $325,000.00 per year
*NOTE: Do not copy/paste the above email address as it is encoded with SPAM protection. Just click it to initiate an email from your preferred email client.