About The Shed
The Shed commissions original works of art, across all disciplines, for all audiences. From hip hop to classical music, painting and sculpture to literature, film to theater and dance, The Shed brings together leading and emerging artists and thinkers from all disciplines under one roof. The building—a remarkable movable structure designed by Diller Scofidio + Renfro in collaboration with Rockwell Group—physically transforms to support artists' most ambitious ideas. Committed to nurturing artistic invention and bringing creative experiences to the broadest possible audiences, The Shed, led by Artistic Director and CEO Alex Poots, is a 21st-century space of and for New York City.
About the Position
The Visitor Experience Manager is a key member of the Visitor Experience team, responsible for developing, launching, and managing front-of-house operations for visual and performing arts at The Shed. Reporting to the Director of Visitor Experience, the Visitor Experience Manager will lead the frontline team, oversee front-of-house operations, and help achieve the customer service goals of The Shed. The Visitor Experience Manager is part of the core team responsible for the visitor experience and rethinking how technology and new engagement strategies can shape that experience. The Visitor Experience Manager will be running operations in flexible performance spaces that change for each newly commissioned production. This includes The McCourt (approx. 1,200 seated, 2,000 standing), Griffin Theater (500 seated), and two 13,000-square-foot gallery spaces.
The ideal candidate has experience optimizing front-of-house operations for cultural organizations in seated, general admission, and timed ticketing environments. They have expertise in both the performing and visual arts, which is essential for the interdisciplinary nature of The Shed’s programming. Experience as a house manager is essential. They have leadership experience, a demonstrated enthusiasm for The Shed’s mission to advance contemporary culture, a strong interest in the arts, popular culture, science, and technology, and can work collaboratively with colleagues across a quickly growing organization.
Key responsibilities include, but are not limited to
- Responsible for aligning customer service with The Shed’s mission to create a best-in-class visitor experience that is welcoming to all
- Lead the fully cross-trained frontline team of Visitor Experience Associates including recruiting, hiring, training, scheduling, performance managing, and running employee engagement and recognition programs
- Build a strong team that is highly trusted and highly competent
- Create a positive work environment where excellence is fostered among frontline staff
- Manage the efficient flow of guests through the space including entry, bag search, ticketing queues, scanning, seating, bathrooms, refreshments, exit, etc.
- Perform as the House Manager for shows in the Griffin Theater and the McCourt or elsewhere as needed
- Responsible for the safety and well-being of the audience, including ensuring that all frontline staff are fire guard certified and trained to respond appropriately in the event of an emergency
- Communicate directly with the Stage Manager and production team to determine curtain time and start the performance on time
- Mange and optimize coat and bag check operation
- Ensure accurate access control for ticketed events
- Optimize the ticketing system, Tessitura, for all front-of-house operations including N-Scan, customer service issues, and reporting
- Manage late seating and develop strategies that do not disturb the audience
- Orchestrate an excellent intermission experience for audience members
- Support the group sales program by developing practices for welcoming groups to ticketed events
- Manage the storage, inventory, and distribution of printed programs
- Process ticket orders and act as backup for ticketing operations
- Support ticket and membership sales in person, by phone, and online
- Support customer service efforts across all channels including phone, chat, and in person
- Manage projects related to optimizing front-of-house operations
- Act as a power user for Artifax (venue management system) and Tessitura (CRM and ticketing system)
- Responsible for reporting and analytics to help the organization make data-informed decisions, including nightly House Reports
- Liaise across departments to maintain high data governance standards across the institution
Qualifications and Qualities
- Three or more years of house management experience in a managerial role
- Expertise in both the visual and performing arts
- Open to rethinking the visitor experience using technology and new strategies
- Friendly, welcoming, and warm demeanor towards colleagues and visitors
- Strong leadership skills
- Exemplary verbal and written communication skills
- Resilient and able to handle high-pressure situations without burning out
- Responds well to constructive feedback
- Able to work a variable schedule including nights and weekends
- Knowledge of ticketing systems (Tessitura preferred) in seated, general admission, and timed ticketing environments
- Knowledge of venue management systems (Artifax preferred)
- Knowledge of Google Suite
- Knowledge of employee scheduling software (ie: WhenIWork, Makeshift, When to Work)
Compensation will be commensurate with experience. Please provide salary requirements with your application.
Interested candidates should complete an application and submit résumé and cover letter in a single Word or PDF document saved as candidate's first and last name. Only résumés and cover letters submitted in this format will be reviewed. No phone calls, please.
The Shed is an Equal Opportunity Employer, committed to the goal of building a culturally diverse staff, and strongly encourages applications from minority candidates.
October 28, 2019 -