Actors' Equity Association
New York, NY 10036
Senior Writer and Project Manager
Actors' Equity Association, the labor union representing over 51,000 Actors and Stage Managers working in the professional theatre nationwide, is seeking a detail-oriented person to join the communications team and serve as a senior writer and project manager. This will be a key department position responsible for leading production of Equity’s 51,000-circulation news magazine and developing and executing a communications plan around the #AskifitsEquity brand. The position will also support Equity’s organizing work by developing and pitching press releases around contract negotiations. 1-2 years prior experience of theater strongly preferred. Strong organizational and writing skills are critical. Responsibilities will include, but are not limited to:
- Serve as Editor and manage production of Equity’s quarterly news magazine.
- Serve as project manager for the #AskifitsEquity campaign
- Devise and execute a press plan for Equity’s awards programs to increase coverage of the events
- Draft news releases for new contract announcements
- Provide communications support for Equity’s regional liaison communities
- Proofread key department communications to ensure they follow the internal organizational style guide
- Pitch occasional press releases to trade media
- Other duties as assigned.
Skills, Abilities and Knowledge:
- Strong writing skills required
- Superior interpersonal and administrative skills required
-Detail-orientation and ability to handle multiple tasks in a deadline-driven environment required
- Excellent computer skills, including Microsoft Word, Excel and Outlook required
- Strong knowledge of Adobe InDesign preferred
Education and Experience:
- Bachelor’s Degree or equivalent experience strongly preferred
- Prior experience in a labor organization or in the performing arts strongly preferred
- Compensation commensurate with experience
- Excellent family health benefits (medical, dental, optical)
- Employer funded defined benefit pension plan
Applications without a resume and cover letter will not be considered. Finalists will be asked to submit writing samples and perform a writing exercise.
Actors’ Equity Association is committed to creating a diverse& inclusive environment and is proud to be an equal employment opportunity employer. We are committed to equal employment opportunity in the workplace regardless of age, gender and gender identity, race/ethnicity, disability, religion, national origin, sexual orientation or veteran status.