New York Classical Theatre
New York, NY
Romeo & Juliet - NYC EPA
Call Type: EPA
($390 weekly minimum, pension & health)
Directed by Stephen Burdman (casting representative)
Rehearsal (Central Park): May 14–June 3; also selected put-in rehearsals in other venues.
Performance: June 5–July 29 (Central Park, Rockefeller Park, Battery Park, Carl Schurz Park, Brooklyn Bridge Park)
EPA Procedures are in effect for this audition.
An Equity Monitor will be provided.
Equity’s contracts prohibit discrimination. Equity is committed to diversity and encourages all its employers to engage in a policy of equal employment opportunity designed to promote a positive model of inclusion. As such, Equity encourages performers of all ethnicities, gender identities, and ages, as well as performers with disabilities, to attend every audition.
Always bring your Equity Membership card to auditions.
New York Classical Theatre reinvigorates and creates audiences for the theatre by presenting all-free productions of popular classics and forgotten masterpieces in accessible public spaces throughout New York City.
Using their signature performance style, Panoramic Theatre, this unique production of Romeo & Juliet hearkens back to the touring productions of Shakespeare’s company, the King’s Men, in which all actors will play multiple parts.
We are seeking to assemble an ethnically diverse cast. It is imperative that we see actors of all ethnicities.
All actors who audition must possess strong vocal projection, the ability to be facile with classical text, and are experienced with rapier/dagger and hand-to-hand stage combat. Major roles are indicated below.
Actor Track 1
Female, early to mid 20s. To play the following.
- Juliet: Capulet’s daughter. Privileged, young, impassioned, impulsive, romantic, honest, and innocence.
Actor Track 2
Male early to late 20s. To play the following:
- Romeo: Montague’s son. Idealistic, poetic, changeable, honest, and passionate.
Actor Track 3
Male 40s – 50s. To play the following:
- Capulet: Juliet’s father. Headstrong, loyal to family, and conservative. - Benvolio: Romeo’s cousin. Loyal, realistic, and sympathetic
Actor Track 4
Female 40s – 50s. To play the following:
- Lady Capulet: Juliet’s mother. Strong, smart, and manipulative.
- Mercutio: Romeo’s cousin. Passionate, poetic, and dramatic.
Actor Track 5
Male mid 30s – 50s. To play the following:
- Montague: Romeo’s father. Concerned, determined, loves Romeo.
- Tybalt: Juliet’s cousin. Fiery, brave, and proud.
- Paris: Betrothed to Juliet. Regal, sturdy, and jealous.
Actor Track 6
Male 30s – 60s. To play the following:
- Nurse: Juliet’s nurse. Anxious, loyal, and comedic. Can keep a secret.
- Friar Lawrence: Even keeled, thoughtful, and wise. Believes in love.
Actors' Equity New York Audition Center
165 W 46th St
New York, NY 10036
Tuesday, March 27, 2018
9:30 AM - 5:30 PM
Lunch 1 to 2
Please prepare a brief classical monologue (in verse) of NO MORE THAN two (2) minutes. Bring picture and resume.