Job Title: House Manager
Department: SVA Theatre
Reports to: Operations Manager and Venue Managers, SVA Theatre
Position Overview: Under the direction of the SVA Theatre Director, Operations Manager, and Venue Managers, the House Manager will assist the SVA Theatre with front-of-house duties and general event oversight and management. You will be working with a smart, friendly team in a fun, fast-paced environment, and will be overseeing some of the most prestigious arts events in New York City.
SVA Theatre hosts events year round, on mornings, afternoons, and evenings, on weekdays and weekends, and on some holidays. There are certain times during the year when there are very few events, and we cannot guarantee a set amount of hours per week or month. Most events average six hours. House Managers choose what events they wish to work, but we ask that you generally have a flexible schedule with good availability. d provide them with necessary front-of-house support.
Duties & Responsibilities:
- Be the point person for event hosts, and provide them with necessary front-of-house support.
- Supervise house staff and front of house to ensure smooth event operations.
- Assist with the management of event hosts, caterers, and VIP guests.
- Assist with event setup (which requires moving heavy objects).
- Provide a high level of customer service to, and ensure the safety of, all guests.
School of Visual Arts (SVA) in New York City is an established leader and innovator in the education of artists. From its inception in 1947, the faculty has been comprised of professionals working in the arts and art-related fields. SVA provides an environment that nurtures creativity, inventiveness and experimentation, enabling students to develop a strong sense of identity and a clear direction of purpose.
- Bachelor’s degree preferred.
- 2-3 years of customer service experience is required.
- The ability to work days and/or evenings, weekdays and/or weekends.
- A background, knowledge, and/or love for the arts (especially film).
- Prior film festival, event/production, venue/house management, and/or ushering experience preferred.
- Personable, friendly, and helpful – a team player with a positive attitude.
- Strong management, communication, and interpersonal skills.
- Excellent organization skills, ability to multi-task and prioritize accordingly.
- A general understanding of theatrical technology is a plus.
- Fireguard licensure is a plus, but is not required.
To apply for this position, please send a cover letter and resume to firstname.lastname@example.org
No walk-ins or phone calls please.
The School of Visual Arts is an equal opportunity employer.
January 1, 2019 -