St. Ann's Warehouse
Brooklyn, NY 11201
St. Ann’s Warehouse fills a vital niche on New York City’s cultural landscape as an artistic home for the American avant-garde, international companies of distinction, and talented emerging artists ready to work on a grand scale. Over 36 years, St. Ann’s has evolved into a world-class artistic home where artists come to make work in an open, flexible space that can be reconfigured specifically to meet their needs. By virtue of the many partnerships and huge talent St. Ann’s has nurtured, outstanding artists, companies and productions have been introduced on American soil, where they have had major impact on the field here and abroad. In October 2015, St. Ann’s Warehouse opened its permanent home in a former Tobacco Warehouse in Brooklyn Bridge Park. The new St. Ann’s Warehouse is a 25,000 square foot site, constructed within an historic brick shell, which houses two flexible performance spaces: a 10,000 sq ft open footprint Theater and a 1000 sq ft Studio for smaller scale productions, rehearsals and community gatherings, as well as an open public garden, administrative offices, and lobbies.
The House Manager at St. Ann’s Warehouse is responsible for the smooth operation of the house before, during, and after all performances and selected events in St. Ann’s Warehouse. This full time position requires a highly motivated individual who will develop protocols for front-of-house operations on a show by show basis while coordinating with General Management, Box Office, Production, Facilities and our visiting companies.
Additionally, the House Manager will oversee the vital connection between our
organization and part-time staff of ushers, security guards and maintenance crew. The House Manager must be detail oriented with superior people skills. The House Manager reports to the Production Manager.
• Oversee lobby, house and other theater areas prior to, during and following performances and other community or rental events.
• Train, supervise, and hire our staff of paid ushers for every production. Assign usher duties (ticket tearing, program distribution, program stuffing, etc.). Deal with any staff and audience issues that arise.
• Be responsible for any merchandise sales for all events (inventory, tallying sales, financial reconciliation and management of the merchandise bank).
• Build a front of house and security schedule for each production/event as well as coordinate maintenance schedule with Facilities Manager. Maintain and update staffing schedule on a daily basis.
• Resolve audience issues and complaints. Provide and process paperwork on any accidents or incidents.
• Work with Box Office and Stage Manager to coordinate opening and closing the house, handing over the house, late seating/re seating, and any special needs of the visiting company.
• Enter and approve bi-weekly usher timesheets for the designated Finance Department personnel. Prepare paperwork for all newly hired ushers.
• Prepare and distribute House Manager reports to designated St. Ann’s artistic, administrative, production and visiting company staff, detailing a ticket stub count summary and audience issues for each performance.
• Understand and follow New York City Fire Department procedures, including maintaining a Fire Guard certification. Track and keep current usher Fire Guard Certification documents. Perform daily Fire Guard inspection. Conduct regular fire alarm drills with Front of House staff and Facilities Manager.
• Coordinate audience evacuation in the event of an emergency. Contact medical personnel in the event of a medical emergency.
• Communicate any building and facilities issues to the Production Manager, Facilities Manager, and Box Office as needed.
• Occasional assistance in the box office may be required, answering phones, selling tickets, etc.
• Act as Liaison to Brooklyn Bridge Park, local authorities and any other officials during performances or events.
• Support Development and General Management staff around St. Ann’s, community and outside rental events.
• At least 5 years experience in Front of House, Stage Management or Box Office related positions.
• Excellent communication and interpersonal skills. Ability to provide professional customer service in a fast paced environment.
• Demonstrated leadership skills and the ability to self direct.
• Solid computer and organizational skills.
• Possession of or willingness to obtain a Fire Guard license from the FDNY and to acquire a certification in First Aid.
• This position will primarily work evenings and weekends. The schedule changes based on the needs of the given production and associated events. This position is responsible for closing the building on nights and days there are public events.
Competitive salary is commensurate with experience and includes excellent benefits.
Please e-mail cover letter, resume, and three references to firstname.lastname@example.org with “House Manager Position” in the subject line. Position to start September 5. No phone calls, please. St. Ann’s Warehouse is an Equal Opportunity Employer.
September 5, 2017 -
APPLY BY EMAILSend e-mail to jobs...