New York City Center
New York, NY 10019
NEW YORK CITY CENTER has played a defining role in the cultural life of the City since 1943 when it was founded by Mayor Fiorello LaGuardia with the civic mission to make the best in the performing arts accessible to all audiences, and it continues to honor its founding mission today as we celebrate 75 years at the center of the arts in New York City. Its distinctive neo-Moorish theater welcomes hundreds of thousands of visitors to experience internationally acclaimed artists on the same stage that legends like George Balanchine, Leonard Bernstein, and Barbara Cook made their mark. For 25 years, the treasured Tony-honored Encores! series has given new life to the American musical theater canon, complemented by the more recent Encores! Off-Center, which features seminal Off-Broadway musicals filtered through the lens of today’s innovative artists. Dance continues to be an integral part of the theater’s mission with programs like the annual Fall for Dance Festival, which exposes a new audience to an international array of artists by offering highly subsidized ticket prices.
City Center is also the home to a roster of renowned national and international companies including Alvin Ailey American Dance Theater, City Center’s principal dance company, and Manhattan Theatre Club. Through its robust education and community engagement programs, City Center brings the performing arts to over 9,000 New York City students each year and activates all areas of the building with talks, master classes, art exhibitions, and intimate performances that provide audiences an up-close look at the work of the great theater and dance artists of our time.
Reports to the VP of Marketing & Communications
To incorporate and fulfill brand and marketing objectives though thoughtful design and art direction. Create compelling and artfully integrated digital and print collateral, video, and other materials that ultimately build awareness and drive demand for New York City Center and its program offerings.
- Ensure a level of excellence in all creative work. Design and execute consistent, cohesive, materials that advance the brand and are within budget and timeframe. This includes digital and print design, video, and execution of integrated campaigns from conception through execution.
- Advance innovation in design concepts and art direction, while maintaining consistency, quality, and integrity of the brand.
- Champion City Center’s digital presence and aesthetics so that they are aligned with usability and accessibility
Duties and Responsibilities
- Support all departments (Programming, Marketing, Development, Education, etc.) in creation of digital and print collateral
- Identify and translate production photos into distinctive City Center digital and print pieces, with a keen sense of typography
- Design and execution of print materials including direct mail, brochures, print advertising, invitations, and related promotional print collateral
- Partner with social media on direction of videos and visual identity on our social channels
- Creation of branded email promotional images and email templates
- Creation of static and rich banner ads and resizing
- Work with Development to create proposals to potential brand partners and sponsors
- Maintain integrity of City Center brand through wayfinding or other signage
- Resize and format key art when artwork is created outside the organization
- Collaborate with marketing team to brainstorm new and original content
- Research the latest trends in design, typography, photography, art, and culture
Required Education, Knowledge, Skills and Abilities
- 5+ years proven professional design experience
- Substantial knowledge of print production including retouching, pre-press, and proofing
- Up to date with industry leading software (InDesign, Photoshop, Illustrator, and Dreamweaver)
- Ability to absorb and apply constructive criticism from peers and clients
- Possession of creative flair, versatility, conceptual/visual ability and originality
- Open demeanor, collaborative in nature.
- A commitment to innovation, excellence and the highest standards of quality, art direction and design
- Aware of current trends in art and design, interactive and user experience design, and digital publishing software
- Cultural institution and/or performing arts experience a plus
- Capable of handling numerous projects in a fast-paced environment
- Professionalism regarding time, costs, and deadlines
Please email cover letter and resume to jobs@NYCityCenter.org. Please include “Graphic Designer” in the subject line and include your portfolio or link to portfolio.
City Center is an equal employment opportunity employer and is committed to providing a work environment that is free of discrimination and harassment (including sexual harassment) based upon any protected characteristic. City Center does not discriminate for reasons of race, color, creed, religion, age, marital status, membership in a domestic partnership, veterans or uniform service member status, gender, pregnancy, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, ethnic or national origin, mental or physical disability, genetic information, medical condition, history of domestic violence or assault, caregiver status, or any other protected characteristic under applicable federal, state and local laws. City Center ensures equal and fair treatment of any employee or applicant with known mental or physical disabilities.