The Public Theater
New York, NY 10003
The Public Theater in New York City is seeking a theatrical Draper for its Costume Shop. This is a full-time, year-round staff position with benefits.
The primary responsibility of the Draper is the interpretation and creation of costumes from the initial designs through to completed garments via custom draping/patterning and all other facets of the construction process. The Draper works with the Costume Shop Manager to meet production and fitting deadlines and may assist with other costume needs as required by the production.
· Confer with Designer, Costume Master and Costume Shop Manager on assigned projects
· Drape and pattern costume pieces from rendered designs
· Act as liaison between the Costume Designer and Costume Shop Manager
· Calculate yardage estimates for fabric & trims and specify the required notions (buttons, zippers, etc.) for each costume
· Manage a team of stitchers in the construction of the costumes
· Tailor and/or alter stock costumes or purchased clothing as needed
· Supervise fittings
· Oversee machine maintenance and shop inventories
· Maintain a safe and clean work environment
· Perform other related work as required
· At least 3 years of experience in the draping and patterning of period costumes in a professional costume shop
· Knowledge of costume history and textiles
· Thorough understanding of the costume design and construction processes
· Strong organizational skills
· Ability to work productively under time pressures to meet deadlines
· Excellent communication skills
This is a Non-Exempt position, according to the Fair Labor Standards Act.
Please send all resumes to firstname.lastname@example.org.
The Public is committed to creating a diverse and inclusive environment and is proud to be an equal opportunity employer. Applicants from populations underrepresented in the theater field are strongly encouraged to apply. All qualified applications will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, gender, gender identity or expression, familial status, sexual orientation, national origin, ability, age, or veteran status.