New York City Center
New York, NY 10019
The Copywriter is an integral part of City Center’s marketing department, creating original written content across all platforms that promotes upcoming programming to potential patrons while simultaneously offering audiences context for the works being presented. The Copywriter writes and edits City Center publications and marketing materials with a keen eye for grammar and punctuation. This job requires experience in writing/editing/interviewing/proofreading, self-motivation, a knowledge of computers, excellent time management skills, the ability to work as part of a team in a fast-paced environment, and a sense of humor.
Reports to the Director of Communications
• Research, write and edit copy for all City Center promotional materials, including e-newsletter, promotional emails, pre-show emails, web pages, and print mailings
• Edit programs for all City Center-presented engagements, including Encores!, Encores! Off-Center, Fall for Dance, and events in the Studios
• Assist the Director of Communications in multiple capacities, including development and editing of press releases and other editorial/advertorial material, supervision of press events, and distribution of press tickets
• Research, develop, commission, and edit articles for City Center’s Playbills, including interviews with artists, previews of upcoming programming, and essays about City Center history
• Work with multiple renters and resident companies to gather written and visual materials for City Center’s annual brochure, and then craft/edit copy
• Work in collaboration with the Website Manager to ensure that all web copy remains relevant and up to date
• Work in collaboration with the Graphic Designer to locate and license images for all publications
• Create original written content for City Center’s blog and assist with content for social media channels
• Attend City Center events and performances
• Bachelor's degree with 3 years experience in performing arts copywriting or similar field
• Knowledge and passion of dance and musical theater
• Intellectual curiosity to identify and articulate compelling copy for a variety of audiences
• Deep appreciation for the performing arts and New York City Center
• Creative thinker who takes action before being asked to
• Create or seek out new and improved methods or systems
• Act as a resource to others in the institution
• Effective communication skills, both in personand in writing
• Works well with others and is someone people want to work with
• Experience with HTML, InDesign a plus
• MS Office: Excel, Word, PowerPoint
• Ability to thrive in a fast-paced work environment
Please email cover letter and resume to Jobs@NYCityCenter.org. No phone calls please.
Please include “Copywriter” in in the subject line and include two to three writing samples that demonstrate your versatility at writing for different audiences.
ABOUT CITY CENTER
New York City Center has played a defining role in the cultural life of the City since 1943 when it was founded by Mayor Fiorello LaGuardia with the civic mission to make the best in the performing arts accessible to all audiences, and it continues to honor its founding mission today. Its distinctive neo-Moorish theater welcomes hundreds of thousands of visitors to experience internationally acclaimed artists on the same stage that legends like George Balanchine, Leonard Bernstein, and Barbara Cook made their mark. For 25 years, the treasured Tony-honored Encores! series has given new life to the American musical theater canon, complemented by the more recent Encores! Off-Center, which features seminal Off-Broadway musicals filtered through the lens of today’s innovative artists. Dance continues to be an integral part of the theater’s mission with programs like the annual Fall for Dance Festival, which exposes a new audience to an international array of artists by offering highly subsidized ticket prices.
City Center is also the home to a roster of renowned national and international companies including Alvin Ailey American Dance Theater, City Center’s principal dance company, and Manhattan Theatre Club. Through its robust education and community engagement programs, City Center brings the performing arts to over 9,000 New York City students each year and activates all areas of the building with talks, master classes, art exhibitions, and intimate performances that provide audiences an up-close look at the work of the great theater and dance artists of our time.
City Center is an equal employment opportunity employer and is committed to providing a work environment that is free of discrimination and harassment (including sexual harassment) based upon any protected characteristic. City Center does not discriminate for reasons of race, color, creed, religion, age, marital status, membership in a domestic partnership, veterans or uniform service member status, gender, pregnancy, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, ethnic or national origin, mental or physical disability, genetic information, medical condition, history of domestic violence or assault, caregiver status, or any other protected characteristic under applicable federal, state and local laws. City Center ensures equal and fair treatment of any employee or applicant with known mental or physical disabilities.