Berkeley Repertory Theatre
Berkeley, CA 94710
POSITION: Company Manager
POSTING DATE: August 13, 2019
REPORTS TO: General Manager
WORK SCHEDULE: 40 hours per week, Monday- Friday with evenings and weekends as needed
CLASSIFICATION: Full-time, exempt
Berkeley Repertory Theatre, a Tony Award-winning theatre company in Berkeley, CA, seeks a highly motivated, creative, welcoming, detail-oriented, and collaborative individual for the position of Company Manager. This role works with the General Manager and Production team to plan for and meet the needs of visiting artists at the theatre and serve as the liaison for Berkeley Rep to guest artists and other outside constituents. The Company Manager also works as part of a team to determine and maintain show budgets, takes the lead in planning and executing company events, and contributes significantly to a positive environment for both artists and staff.
ESSENTIAL DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES include the following. Other duties may be assigned.
· Negotiates, drafts and executes AEA contracts, and contracts for local swings and understudies
· Tracks AEA, swing, and understudy timesheets and payroll
· Processes and tracks HR and Payroll paperwork for AEA, swings, and understudies
· Travel, Housing, and Hospitality
· Arranges all artist travel - including local transportation to and from airports and between housing and theatre/rehearsal spaces, and shipping of baggage - for guest artists including actors, directors, designers and playwrights, and occasionally for seasonal employees, fellows, and VIPs
· Secures and maintains comfortable housing for approximately 150 guest artists and fellows over the course of a 7-show season plus special events, taking into consideration any contractual obligations between the Theatre and artists
· Seeks and arranges subleases when appropriate
· Maintains all budgets and records for travel and housing including but not limited to rent, utilities, telephone, maintenance, and parking
· Creates, updates, and distributes itineraries and orientation information to all artists and fellows in a timely fashion
· Arranges transportation for guest artists to medical and other appointments, or local errands as required
· With the Facilities department, maintains Berkeley Rep cars and parking spots
· Participates in project-by-project planning and execution in consultation with the General Manager and Production Manager through weekly inter-departmental meetings
· Schedules cleaning and maintenance personnel as necessary for all apartments
· Oversees arrangements for in-house company social functions including annual holiday party, meet and greets, opening night receptions, closing night parties, cast dinners, and other events
· Maintains Berkeley Rep’s network of medical professionals
· Advises Berkeley Rep during the construction phase of building a 40-unit complex for visiting artists
· Once built, the Company Manager will help to develop and implement best practices for day-to-day operations
· Work between 2 different campuses and multiple spaces, often in a single day
· Mentor and supervise a full-time company management fellow, a professional in training over the course of 11 months
· Execute other duties as assigned
Preferred candidate will possess the following qualifications:
· 2-3 years of experience in a regional theatre setting, with considerable preference given to prior experience as LORT Company Manager
· Considerable preference given to prior experience with the LORT/AEA agreement
· BFA or Bachelor’s degree or equivalent experience
Knowledge, Skills, Abilities:
· A strong commitment to hospitality, artist service, and genuinely enjoys working with artists
· Interested and excited to select, mentor and manage a yearly full-time Company Management fellow
· Demonstrated ability to work collaboratively both within a dynamic department, with colleagues across multiple departments, and with others to fulfill project needs
· Excellent interpersonal and verbal communication skills, and comfort with representing the institution to outside constituencies
· Indefatigable responsiveness
· Strong verbal and written communication skills
· Must be able to multi-task and flexibility and openness to priorities that change quickly
· Extremely detail-oriented and organized
· Excellent computer skills, including facility with Microsoft Word, Excel and Outlook
· Valid driver license
Berkeley Rep is an equal opportunity employer. Berkeley Rep offers a diverse, congenial, casual environment conducive to professional growth and full benefits including vacation, sick days, and healthcare.
Position available end of August 2019.
Email submissions only. Qualified candidates are invited to submit a PDF cover letter with salary requirements, PDF resume, and PDF portfolio or link to portfolio website to email@example.com with the subject “Company Manager.” Only complete submissions will be considered.
Berkeley Rep will contact candidates of interest. Please, no calls.
August 30, 2019 -