Long Wharf Theatre
New Haven, CT 06511
Long Wharf Theatre
Position: Community Partnership Manager
Direct Reports: Community Partnership Coordinator
Reports to: Director of Artistic Partnerships and Innovation
Classification: Full-Time, Exempt
Long Wharf Theatre is about to embark on an unprecedented journey, where art and activism will live side-by-side. We are committed to building a boundary-breaking theatre with, for, and by the New Haven community. A core part of that work is a life-long conversation with the City of New Haven, including the New Haven Play Project, a performance created in deep partnership, celebrating the stories of New Haven. We are looking for a visionary Community Partnership Manager to join our growing community, as we work in partnership to reimagine the experiment that is the American Theater.
The Community Partnership Manager will be the key strategist and manager for the practice of community partnership at Long Wharf Theatre. They will maintain deep relationships with community partners and work with these partners to identify ways Long Wharf can be of service to the community of New Haven. A goal of this work is to build a lifelong conversation with the city of New Haven through community-centered performance and civic engagement.
The Community Partnership Manager will lead the process of creating the New Haven Play Project, Long Wharf’s community-based theater program. The New Haven Play Project invites members of diverse communities to participate in workshops, take classes, attend performances, and most importantly, to create their own work of theatre on the Long Wharf Theatre stage. Through this project Long Wharf Theatre will work closely with immigrant and refugee neighbors to fight Islamophobia in our midst.
As the company enters a new era, the Community Partnership Manager will provide focused and strategic leadership that is grounded in rigor, curiosity, and joy. The Community Partnership Manager will also be instrumental in supporting the theater’s work in all areas of inclusion and anti-racism; a nuanced understanding of this work with demonstrated leadership will be essential. Long Wharf Theatre is looking to build a boundary-breaking future and is seeking visionary collaborators to help make this a reality.
· Oversee all practices of Community Partnership at Long Wharf Theatre including local artist engagement, community-based theater practice, and civic engagement.
· Facilitate a cohort of New Haven Play Project partners. This will include maintaining partnerships and cultivating new potential partnerships.
· Facilitate inclusion, connection, and an open flow of information with community members, partners, Long Wharf Theatre staff, board members, and funders.
· Craft narratives and assist in fundraising for all community programs.
· Teach and attend classes and workshops at community partner sites.
· Organize and execute community gatherings and ensure all community partners are informed and updated. Facilitate the execution of all other Community Partnership programs as needed.
· Work with the Long Wharf Theatre team on marketing and promotion of all community partner events, performances, and gatherings, striving to build attendance and cultivate joy.
Develop and maintain systems of analysis for community programs including data collection, information sharing, and narratives needed for grants as needed.
Build infrastructure to sustain and grow the New Haven Play Project.
· Work closely with the production, artistic, and education departments to ensure that Community Partnership activities are integrated into the workflow of the institution.
· Develop pathways so the entire staff is more deeply connected to the work with our community partners.
The Expertise Needed:
· Interest—and ideally strong experience—in community organizing and/or theater.
· A demonstrated commitment to, and understanding of, anti-racism and anti-oppression practices.
Ability to work with many people of diverse backgrounds.
· Experience with Microsoft Office, Google Drive, etc.
· Interpersonal awareness, empathy, and capacity to stay calm in a fast-paced work environment.
Superb verbal and written communication as well as facilitation skills.
Salary range is $38,000-$48,000, plus benefits.
Position is available immediately. To apply, please submit cover letter and resume to firstname.lastname@example.org with “Community Partnership Manager” in the subject line.